Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP RGS
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We are investigating the license crash (log below), possibly caused by another application running on the server as memory errors at similar time.

However my questions is we had to manually restart the sender service on all the workstations running RGS. Whilst this is a rare occurrance could you advise if it's possible to stop RGS from crashing if the license is lost?

If you connect without a license it advises with an overlay saying no license, yet if license goes down it kills the service and then we have to manually restart the service on a few dozen machines after all active users get kicked from their sessions.

We can set the users sender service to attempt to restart,  if like this instance the license restarted OK. However if it is down for a few minutes this workaround wouldn't work.

If you have seen such errors before and have advice please let me know!

15:49:35 (lmgrd) HPQ exited with status 28 (Communications error)
15:49:35 (lmgrd) Since this is an unknown status, license server
15:49:35 (lmgrd) manager (lmgrd) will attempt to re-start the vendor daemon.
15:49:35 (lmgrd) REStarted HPQ (pid 2920)
15:49:35 (HPQ) FLEXnet Licensing version v11.6.0.0 build 60117 i86_n3
15:49:35 (HPQ) lmgrd version 11.14, HPQ version 11.6

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi Craig,

What version of RGS are you using on your senders when you see this behavior?  When you refer to another application running on the server, are you referring to an RGS floating license server?  Normal process is to check out a license from the license server, and then connect to a sender.  RGS can run without a license, you just can't get rid of the overlay but you mention it is crashing.  RGSbugreport would be helpful in figuring out what is going on.  Is that something you can send me?  I also have some troubleshooing documentation for the RGS licensing server that could help diagnose the problem, and have attached it.

I work on the behalf of HP.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Users are runnning RGS 7.3.3, soon to update to 7.6 64bit once I've tested and signed off the automated install.

License server is old (see below), however I would have thought it wasn't server version related as it's how the client deals with losing the license... We do have a new license server for RGS 7.6 64bit, a few users using that but could potentially test that has the same response if it crashes/I crash it...

15:49:35 (HPQ) FLEXnet Licensing version v11.6.0.0 build 60117 i86_n3
15:49:35 (HPQ) lmgrd version 11.14, HPQ version 11.6

Yes RGS license server, the other application is a security application that scans the server at various times, it said out of memory a few seconds after RGS crashed. Will speak to our security team about that as it's probably the cause of the crash.

The HP RGS License errored and thus stopped for about 2 seconds but long enough for all users to lose their license, on losing their license the sender service stops and users couldn't then reconnect. Ideally if this happens it would be nice to have a longer time out period and for the sender service to not stop.

Do you know if the latest version has the same sender stop feature?

HP Recommended

My guess is that the software that is scanning the server at various times is the cause of the crashes.  We always suggest making anything related to RGS exempt.  Remote Graphics FlexLM server version 11.14.1.1 is required with RGS 7.4 and newer.  Previous version of RGS will still be able to check out licenses from the newer license server.  Licenses from older license servers can be used on newer servers.  I have attached a troubleshooting document that has been helpful in trying to troubleshoot issues with a license server.  Will look into any settings that may help with time out before the sender service crashes.  We are releasing a new licensing guide, which will include Linux setup for RGS license servers.  Not sure when that will be on the web so will update when I have more on that.

I work on the behalf of HP.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

From time to time we do get errors with licenses e.g. network error, vm outage, server reboot etc.

Can you confirm if default response on workstations can be changed for RGS to not stop the service if the license is lost? We want to do a monthly reboot of the license server and don't want to have to restart the service manually for all users.

Equally if the license does stop we don't want to manually have to start the service for all our users that don't have access to their machines.

Saying that changing the default response of the service to delay the auto restart will help which we are testing.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.