Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Remote Graphics Software (RGS)
Linux

I have recently installed RGS sender v7.2.1 on a RHEL 6.3 linux workstation. I've updated the NVIDIA drivers and continue to receive the following message after reboot. 

01-15-18 14:52:08 ERROR - X11RemoteGraphicsExt::ConnectRge() caught connect to socket failed: Connection refused connecting to RG X
Extension!
01-15-18 14:52:08 ERROR - X11RemoteGraphicsExt::X11RemoteGraphicsExt() error connecting to Remote Graphics Extension!
01-15-18 14:52:08 ERROR - Application::run: Unhandled exception.
01-15-18 14:52:08 ERROR - HP Remote Graphics Sender: X11RemoteGraphicsExt::ctor - Could not connect.
01-15-18 14:52:08 INFO - Application::main - application exiting with status 1

What else could I look at to resolve the issue ASAP?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The issue was resolved with a reimage of the RHEL workstation and reinstall of the graphics drivers and RGS. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Have you tried testing with RGS 7.4, the latest released version?  There have been many changes in the Linux sender since 7.2.1.  Also, packaged with RGS 7.4 is a tool called RGSbugreport.  This is very helpful when trying to figure out an issue.  Have you been able to make an actual connection?  What NVIDIA driver do you have installed? 

I work on the behalf of HP.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hi Kelly, I have not tried testing with RGS 7.4. I have not been able to make a connection at all. Once I installed the HP recommended graphics driver of 319.60 I lost the GUI. 

HP Recommended

Replying to you in a private email. l need to get more details which I don't like to have shared on the forum.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Did you do the NVIDIA update after installing RGS?  If so, that may have caused the problem.  Please try this and let me know if this fixes your issue.

Edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and manually add:

Section "Module"

Load           "rge"

EndSection

And

Section "Extensions"

Option         "Composite" "Disable"

EndSection

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Yep, that's in there. 

# Begin HP Remote Graphics Software
Section "Module"
# HP Remote Graphics Extension
Load "rge"
# extmod recommended for preventing XID overflow.
Load "extmod"
# Ensure X.org defaults are loaded
Load "glx"
Load "dbe"
Load "record"
EndSection
# End HP Remote Graphics Software

# Begin HP Remote Graphics Software

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection
# End HP Remote Graphics Software

HP Recommended

The issue was resolved with a reimage of the RHEL workstation and reinstall of the graphics drivers and RGS. 

HP Recommended

I wanted to share the issue so others will not have to reimage.  With older versions of RGS such as 7.2.1, when doing any upgrades to OS or graphic cards, it is necessary to unstall RGS first.  Perform the upgrades and then reinstall RGS.  This has been changed since 7.3.3 but would still recommend this procedure, especially with Linux. Without seeing the RGSbugreports, and only providing snippets of logs, it makes it hard to troubleshoot.  The bugreports provide us with a lot more info than just RGS logs, and are generally what helps us understand what actually happened.  Thanks for sharing your resolution.

I am an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.