Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
RGS
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am preparing to deploy to a customer site and connect to my workstation remotely.  The customer site has (what I would call) a very poor internet connection.

I am connecting to a VPN.  The sender workstation is on (what I would call) a very strong internet connection.

Are there any minimum network requirements  that I can quote to the 'remote' sysadmin in terms of bandwidth and latency?  It's not really helpful for me to ask for 'as fast as possible'.

I've read thru section 8 of the user guide and understand that I should try to minimize the resolution sender-side.  I have tried these reductions and still find the performance unacceptable.

I'm clearly not a 'network' person - but know enough to know that the connection is not fast enough.

In section 8 :

"Once you’ve characterized your network performance, you can decide if improvement is required."

Are there any opinions on what minimum characteristics are?

The send is running Windows 7 Pro 64, 3D CAE/CAD applications, dual 1080p displays.

Thanks in advance for any and all opinions or insights.

dcs.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Here are some things to look at when trying to optimize network settings.  I have also attached a white paper that goes into network recommendations.  Basically anthing over 200ms is going to be difficult with RGS. 

The Image Quality Slider is a good first step for fine tuning performance with your network connection. It can be found in the tool bar or the performance tab under settings. If bandwidth is really constrained, you can also try the Advanced Video Compression option which is ideal for video or video-like content. Also reference the HP RGS User Guide for more tips on optimizing performance.

HP RGS uses a smart, proprietary, context aware codec which intelligently sends only the pixels that change. This means that the bandwidth required for an HP RGS connection can vary greatly depending on what is happening on your screen. You can have a solid connection with just 3-5 Megabits per second of bandwidth; however, if the screen is in constant motion like a full screen movie, the bandwidth usage can be much higher.

HP RGS optimizes performance on bandwidth-constrained networks in the following three ways:

• First, you can adjust the image quality to reduce the required bandwidth and improve the responsiveness and frame rate.
  • Second, for watching videos you can also enable the Advanced Video Compression feature that greatly reduces the needed bandwidth. Note, however, that this feature is not ideal for content with fine lines, such as 3D movement of wire frame images.
  • Third, HP Velocity provides increased network performance by optimizing communications between the sender and receiver.
I am an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.