Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
RGS 7.4
Linux

Hi,

I would like to run the excellent RGS on  a) Ubuntu with Intel based chips, and b) on a RasberryPi with ARM chips. Please help.

While the the 7.4 has an Ubuntu subdirectory, the RPM does not install with dependency errors after alien.

Tks

Christian

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello, currently RGS is not supported on Ubuntu, however, we are getting more requests.  I will pass your request onto the RGS Program Manager.   However, we have done some preliminary testing with Ubuntu in R&D.  Will update once I hear back from R&D about your request.

Thanks!

I work on the behalf of HP.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

As I mentioned, we have done some limited testing on Ubuntu.  Attached is some instructions for using RGS on Ubuntu.  Hope this works for you.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

With your instructions RGS installs and runs well on Ubuntu 17.10 64 bit! Thank You.

Do you have a version for ARM chips?

HP Recommended

Glad that Ubuntu is working for you.  I will look into the ARM processors.  Will  update when I have more.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I'm looking for a way to run RGS on linux mint 18.3 at the moment, which is basicly ubuntu.

Will try these instructions and see if it is working.

Just figured to check if there are maybe more fresh, newr udpates on this topic?

Thank you

Just installed

Works fine.

Will have to check for any missing things (noticed that remote USB is not working but not big deal)

So far so good.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Remote USB is not supported on Linux sender.  However, a person on this forum did share something with me that worked for him on a Linux sender. 

From TheFunk:

Sent: ‎02-07-2018 08:39 AM

Hey! 

So long story short, I have USB Redirection working now via a 3rd party application called VirtualHere. I have the application set to ignore my mouse and keyboard, but any USB device besides those that I plug in to my thin client get immediately redirected to my guest VM. I figured I'd mention it to you because it's fairly impressive tech and a good workaround if you're using a Linux client. The application can be run as a systemd service and so far, at least as far as my testing goes, it's been 100% reliable. On top of that, it runs entirely out of userspace, so you don't have any sort of dependencies that need met in order to run it. 

https://virtualhere.com/home 

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hey @ChristianSSR, how did you manage to start RGS Sender in Ubuntu?
I did the instructions, but somehow, I don't have any clue how to start it.

Thanks a lot for your attention and help.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.