Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Remote Graphics Software
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

Is there any simple way to re-issue RGS floating FLEXlm license?  After technical reorganization our license server changed hostname and existing license server does not start any more.  It seems the license file has to be re-issued with new hostname for the same server.  IP or MAC of that server do not change and other FLEXlm instances from various vendors are starting ok except HP RGS.

Initially I have sent a message to HPE EMEA team asking for help however they forwarded me to HP and of course the provided steps did not work so I never managed to locate direct support page for RGS rather HP site always suggests to post into this forum.

Thank you?

Oleg

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello Oleg,

I am attaching the RGS Licensing Guide.  If this does not help, please reply. 

I work on the behalf of HP.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Well, the documentation explicently says in section "Accessing the RGS floating license":

"When you acquire an RGS floating license key, you’ll provide your license server hostname. The
signature included in the license key file reflects the hostname that you provide; changing the hostname
within the license key file to a different license server will invalidate the license key. If you need to change
your license server hostname, contact the appropriate HP Regional License Center."

It is exactly the problem I have.  One of our legacy server got splitted into two servers: one is left with all FLEXlm licenses and other optional servers, and splitted server received all common shared to server.  As a result actual license server had been renamed to reflect its license server role and it is not possible to revert it back.  The server keeps the same IP address and MAC however hostname changed.

I would need a new license file with new hostname set in it otherwise I am not able to run FLEXlm anymore 😞  Any ideas how I may request a new license file?  Every time I try to click on any support pages for RGS product registed on page with all my products it would redirect me to this forum.

Thanks,

Oleg

HP Recommended

In order to get you to the right group, what is the server hardware, HPI workstations or HPE blade/server?  Model number will be helpful.  If I need anymore than that, I will contact you directly via email.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

RGS network floating license had been purchased directly from HP couple of years ago so any computer in our LAN may use it if has RGS sender installed.

We run it on all our Dell Precision workstations so I am not able to provide any HP products ids or models unfortunately.  I guess you may pick any of HP workstations if support request requires it.

HP Recommended

RGS is used on many different manufacturers' hardware so it is fine if it Dell.  I was just wondering if it was an actual blade or workstation.  I do need a little more info, but think I can get this resolved for you.  I need to email you directly as I need to get other information now that I don't want on the forum.  Sending email shortly.

I am an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.