Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
macOS 10.14 Mojave

Using the HP RGS receiver for macOS, is it possible to store credentials for the remote system? I would like to create shortcuts (for example in the macOS Dock or desktop) that automatically connects to the remote Windwos system.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello, have an update for you.  Something to try and see if it will work for you as expected.

The auto-launch feature documented for Windows works on other platforms. We don’t register the extension like we do on Windows, but it can still be used on the command line. Of course, Windows encryption only works for Windows and the XOR format isn’t secure. A text file could be created with contents that looked something like this

Rgreceiver.Session.0.IsConnectOnStartup=1

Rgreceiver.Session.0.Hostname=sender-system-name

Rgreceiver.Session.0.Username=username-on-sender

Rgreceiver.Session.0.Password=VALID_PASSWORD

Rgreceiver.Session.0.PasswordFormat=Clear

The command to launch needs the full path name (kind of a bug). I created a file called testit.rgreceiver, set my current directory to the folder with this file and then successfully ran this command

open -a “HP RGS Receiver” --args -config $PWD/testit.rgreceiver

Optionally, you could enable Easy Login  (ELO) in the rgsenderconfig file, save, restart the sender service.

If you use Easy Login, the first authentication step (RGS authentication) is skipped.

At the login screen, you might see an additional user account named HP RGS ELO. Do not use this
account to log in. Use your normal user account.

I work on the behalf of HP.

I am an HP employee.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Are you referring to storing login credentials so that when you connect, it automatically logs you in?

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Yes. I would like to create a macOS Dock icon to automatically login to the Windows Sender.

With a Windows client I can create "Auto-launch files for RGS Receiver" with a .rgreceiver file extension. This would be really nice for the macOS Receiver as well.

Or to have a command line command like:

open -a "HP RGS Receiver" --args -user USER -password PASSWORD -host HOST

Alternatively, it would be sufficient to have a little checkbox like "Remember Me" on websites, to store the credentials used last time.

HP Recommended

Hello, have an update for you.  Something to try and see if it will work for you as expected.

The auto-launch feature documented for Windows works on other platforms. We don’t register the extension like we do on Windows, but it can still be used on the command line. Of course, Windows encryption only works for Windows and the XOR format isn’t secure. A text file could be created with contents that looked something like this

Rgreceiver.Session.0.IsConnectOnStartup=1

Rgreceiver.Session.0.Hostname=sender-system-name

Rgreceiver.Session.0.Username=username-on-sender

Rgreceiver.Session.0.Password=VALID_PASSWORD

Rgreceiver.Session.0.PasswordFormat=Clear

The command to launch needs the full path name (kind of a bug). I created a file called testit.rgreceiver, set my current directory to the folder with this file and then successfully ran this command

open -a “HP RGS Receiver” --args -config $PWD/testit.rgreceiver

Optionally, you could enable Easy Login  (ELO) in the rgsenderconfig file, save, restart the sender service.

If you use Easy Login, the first authentication step (RGS authentication) is skipped.

At the login screen, you might see an additional user account named HP RGS ELO. Do not use this
account to log in. Use your normal user account.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

These are great news. Thank you very much. Exactly what we needed.

HP Recommended

One can use Automator and create a Workflow with the shell command. Then save it as type 'Application'. This app can be put in the macOS Dock for easier access without terminal.

@Kelly: Is there an option to close the HP RGS application after quitting the connection? Otherwise the dialog stays open and a reconnect with the aforementioned app does not work as long as the HP RGS app is open.

HP Recommended

If you click the X or disconnect without logging off, the session should disconnect but a user will still be logged in.  So the next connection you would have to log in as that user and then log off to have another user log in.  I seem to remember that we had an issue with the Mac Receiver staying open and preventing updates from happening because the system needed to reboot and RGS was preventing that from happening.  I need to see if that was fixed or not.  I would say that if you could remote in with another remote protocol such as RDP,  you could terminate rgsender under services.  However, I think the last user login would still be remembered. 

If you try to use different credentials to start a Remote Desktop Connection session with a sender
that is already in an RGS session, Remote Desktop Connection allows you to force a log off for the remote
user account currently in the RGS session. Forcing a log off requires Windows administrator
privileges and ends the RGS session.

If you try to use different credentials to start an RGS session with a sender that is already in a
Remote Desktop Connection session, RGS will display an authorization failure message. You cannot
force a log off in this scenario.

I would need to verify behavior with my Mac.

I am an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.