Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Lenovo T470
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dealing with two versions of RGS Reciever; v7.2.4 which is on current production and p7.5.0 which is about to become production.

Goal: We want to uninstall v7.2.4 then install v7.5.0.

1st Issue:

When we uninstall v7.2.4, testing shows the smart card stops working. The smart card reader is installed and but shows as not connected in device manager. The reader is internal to the laptop and shows it's attached to the USB 3 bus. Device manager shows 

"Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)

To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer."

It seems usb is working. I've tested usb when this happens and keyboards, mice, thumbdrives attach and work. 

Work around that I found:

- Reinstall RGS v7.2.4 will re-enable the smart card reader.

- Reinstall RGS v7.2.4 with "/usb=locatRemote" option. When you reinstall, the smart card reader works on reboot.

Important notes:

- This issue did not show in testing of v7.2.4 before we origonally implemented. A windom security patch or something must have changed something.  

- We disable USB settings within the configuration app and the RGS Receiver client after install.

- v7.2.4 was installed with the commandline "ReceiverSetup.exe /z"/autoinstall /agreetolicense  /clipboard /usb=remote /noreboot /smartcard". We reboot manually. Ive tried install with and without "/noreboot" option with same result of no working smart card reader after uninstall and reboot.

- I've tried to enable USB settings by checking the boxes that enable USB within the configaration app and the RGS Receiver. Same result of no working smart card on reboot after uninstall.

- Re-installation of vendor smart card reader driver does not fix issue.

- We use smart cards for 95% of our end users to login. They do not have passwords.

2nd Issue:

The same thing happens with v7.5.0 installed and configured similarly as we do v7.2.4. However, If I enable usb settings within configuration app and the RGS Receiver client, when I uninstall, the smart card reader works after reboot.

Question: I'd like to uninstall v7.2.4, reboot with smart card working, then install v7.5.0. Maybe I can change something in the registry, RGS settings, something before or after uninstall of v7.2.4 and before I reboot. I've tried a bunch of items in the registry but missing something because it has not worked around  issue.

Any comments, questions, etc are welcome.

Thanks  in advance,

Matt

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Additional info:

From Windows Event Viewer - sysem logs:

Driver Management has concluded the process to add Service AKCCID for Device Instance ID USB\VID_058F&PID_9540\5&1FC31FA8&0&3 with the following status: 0.

From Dev Manager under Events:

Device USB\VID_058F&PID_9540\5&1fc31fa8&0&3 requires further installation.

Matt

HP Recommended

Additional thoughts.

There is something changing when RGS receiver is uninstalled that makes the Alcor Micro USB Smart Card Reader and the Smart card filter driver, both built into the laptop such that, upon uninstall both stop working. Reinstalling Vendor drivers (Lenovo) does not solve the issue not change and of the messages I posted above. When I reinstall RGS, These devices magically start working. Strugling looking through the Windows registry to find what, if anything was changed.

Unfortunately, my familiarity of Windows and Registry internals is not sufficient. 

Oddley enough, I'm not seeing this issue elsewhere with Google and Bing searches. Strange. Seems unlikely this would only happen in our environment. Could be.

Matt

MattB

HP Recommended

Have you just tried doing an upgrading from RGS 7.2.4 to RGS 7.5, not uninstalling the previous version?

I work on the behalf of HP.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thank you for your input.

To answer your question; Yes. Upgrading actually works. 

I did not want to mention before, because I've convinced myself durring testing, this was not the issue. The reason I dont, or cannot, upgrade is because we have a packaging team that packeges the software so our end users can install without having "admin" level privileges. 

The reason, I'm convinced these difficulties are not part of the packaging processes, often time they are, is because I've reliably replicated this issue on our standard (standard to us inside the company) Windows 10 lenovo laptops. The issue(s) I describe above did not show in out testing of the raw vendor install media testing nor in the packaging process.

I will explore the possibility with our packaging folks of "upgrading" the currently installed application. I have not done this. Another work around I am exploring is once 7.2.4 is uninstalled, the system reboots. Use a "service" account to auto login and continue the installation of 7.5.

Thanks for the info. It's good to bounce these ideas off of others. You end up with more onptions to try. Will update with the outcomes.

Thanks, 

Matt

HP Recommended

Did not complete my thought.

THe reason I'm convinced the issue(s), I've outlined above, are not packaging related, is because I've replicated this issue(s) using the raw vendor install files. Additionally, this issue(s) did not appear when we tested both the raw vendor install media nor the packaging.

Matt

HP Recommended

Let me know how the upgrading goes.  Are you using our command line installation in the package?  Also, RGS does require admin privileges for installation on both Sender and Receiver. 

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I want to see if I can reproduce what you are seeing but need to know how you are uninstalling RGS.  In your installation command line you have USB installed as remote, but then mention disabling it after the installation.  Is there a reason why you are having it enabled during the installation?

I would to see if you can provide me with exact step by step instructions so that I do the same thing you are doing in my lab. What version of Lenovo laptops are you using?  Would like to know more about the smartcard reader.

Thanks!

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

We tested the uninstall of RGS Receiver version 7.2.4 using the command runas local admin account:

<install.exe> /z"/autoremove /noroboot". 

The reason we originally installed with the /usb=remote option is we thought we'd want to use this feature but almost immediately changed our minds and disabled usb using installed application rgsConfigApp. 

Unforunately, I dont know precisely when this issue appeared. I've found one guy who says he saw this similar issue(s) across 3 laptops he was working on around July-Aug 2017. 

I've found nothing on this issue on the interwebs so more and more, I'm beginning to think it's specific to our environment. 

Would be cool if you can replicate. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.