Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Envy x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have the same issues as reported by others in the "Cursor Randomly Jumps around Screen" thread: the cursor on my brand-new Envy x360 2-in-1 has a mind of its own, "sticking" at various points (often corners or edges) and continuing to draw the focus away from any/everything else. The problem is so bad that generally I cannot even log into the machine from startup or sleep because the cursor refuses to stay in the password field, and even if it does long enough to let me log in it will misbehave in the OS. I've discovered an awkward workaround for this issue, which is to put the machine to sleep (either by closing the lid or pressing the power button), but even then it's unsatisfactory - rarely it will stabilize after 2-5 attempts, usually I have to try as many as 30-40 times to find a stable moment. The problem appears in every possible user configuration: with or without an external mouse, with or without an external monitor, in laptop or tablet mode. I have tried every resource and tip immaginable (full hardware diagnostics, touchscreen diagnostic, reducing trackpad sensitivity, uninstalling/reinstalling trackpad driver), with absolutely no improvement. A few weeks ago the problem diminished noticeably, and I attribute it to a system update of some sort, and this reminds me of a very important bit of information for this issue: after the first few days of use I grew so irritated with the cursorthat I restored the computer to factory condition, and I intentionally did not activate the internet connection upon first boot. I switched off Windows Update, connected to the internet, and put the computer through normal use (Office apps, internet, file management) for a full day. It worked flawlessly. When I activated the internet connection and the updates began to download, the cursor began to behave erratically again. So I place the issue somewhere in the OS, not in the hardware, which functions perfectly when used in factory condition. Another important fact: the jumping cursor appears even on my external monitor. This leads me to believe that the ultimate source of the issue may lie somewhere in the Intel 620 video card driver. My online research shows that this issue has been known for several years, involving earlier generations of machines, and yet no one at HP (or Interl or Microsoft) has taken it seriously in order to find a definitive fix. I wish someone would do that sooner than later, because I fear my machine will one day lock me out for good.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Archelaos, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums! 

I understand you have touchpad issues with your PC.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Have you tried checking with an external mouse?

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

As you mentioned when you use the touchpad the cursor jumps across the screen on your laptop.

Try updating the BIOS and touchpad drivers on your PC using HP support assistant and check if it helps.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant.

Try the steps recommended below.

Control Panel -> Hardware & Sound -> Power Options -> Change Plan Settings (of current selected plan) -> Change Advanced Power Settings -> USB Selective Suspend Setting -> Disable (both)

Control Panel -> Hardware & Sound -> Power Options -> Change Plan Settings (of current selected plan) -> Change Advanced Power Settings -> PCI-Express -> Link State Power Management -> Disable (both)

Also, Try updating the BIOS and chipset driver on your PC and check if it helps.

You can try updating the drivers using HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps try the steps recommended below.

In Windows, search for Command Prompt. In the search results, right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator. Then click Yes.
In Command Prompt, type sfc /scannow. Make sure to include the space between sfc and the /.
Press Enter and wait while System File Checker scans for corrupted files.
When scanning is complete, the results are displayed on the screen.
If the file checker found and replaced any corrupted files, restart the computer and check the performance.
If the file checker did not find any corrupted files or found corrupted files but could not replace them, go to the next step.
If System File Checker finds corrupted files but cannot replace them, use the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool. DISM checks the corrupted files; then downloads and replaces the files using Windows Update.
In Windows, open a web browser.
   NOTE:
You need to be connected to the Internet to use DISM.
In Windows, search for Command Prompt. In the search results, right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator. Then click Yes.
In Command Prompt, type dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth. Make sure to include the space before each / in the command line.
Press Enter and wait while DISM works. This might take several minutes.
If DISM finds corrupted files, it replaces them using Windows Update. If this occurs, after DISM is finished, restart your computer and see if the performance has improved.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot lock up or freezing issues with PC.

Also, try running a system diagnostics test on your PC and check if the hardware components on your PC are functioning correctly.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics on your PC.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this helps! 
Have a pleasant day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, MrRobot, and thank you for your reply and suggestions. Here are my answers to your questions.

The computer is an Envy x360 15t (product number 2GJ44AV), purchased in December 2017.

As I mentioned in my first post, the issue began as soon as the computer began to download and install updates from MS and HP. Without those, it functioned perfectly.

I have installed all of the recommended and required MS and HP updates for the OS hardware, and BIOS. I have also installed the 64-bit version of MS Office 2016 (education), as well as Adobe Creative Suite CS5 and other software (Firefox, Opera, scanning software).

I am currently using an external mouse; the problem is the same with or without it. Ditto for my external HD monitor.

I have just made the changes you recommended to the power settings (USB Selective Suspend and PCI Link State Power), disabling all features. So far, no evidence of improvement.

I have already updated the BIOS and touchpad drivers, with no effect.

I have installed all updates listed by HP Support Assistant and Windows Update. I have the latest version of the HP Support Assistant.

I just ran System File Checker; it found no corrupted files.

I have already run the hardware and system diagnostics from bootup, and no errors were found in any component or in the OS.

What else can be done? The issue is very difficult to manage. As I am typing this message the cursor repeatedly takes the focus away from the window by clicking randomly on the desktop, and I am still often unable to log into the system in less than 30 attempts.

Archelaos

HP Recommended

@Archelaos

It looks like you were interacting with @A4Apollo, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 

I'm the Riddle_Decipher & I'm at your service. 

I reviewed your concern and the entire conversation, did some research and here's what I recommend:

If both the touchscreen and touchpad tests have passed, you've been using an alternate mouse that has the same issue, this confirms that it's a software related failure than a hardware, that said, I'd like to know if you've attempted to perform a system restore to an earlier date & time it worked?

If yes, and yet the issue persists, please perform a push button reset using this link:  https://hp.care/2g0Tjzs;
And if the issue still persists, create a new user account (https://hp.care/2IsTtcz)& if nothing works, you may want to reinstall the windows using the steps mentioned on this link: https://hp.care/2JGIUDv;

If you would like to thank me for my efforts to help you, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" button.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, @Riddle_Decipher, and thank you for your response to my request.

As I mentioned in my original post, the issue began on the day I opened the box and turned on the computer. After a few days' frustration, I performed the hardware and software tests (all passed), uninstalled/reinstalled the touchpad drivers, updated the BIOS, etc. Some online research suggested that the problem was related to Windows updates causing interference with drivers. As a test of this hypothesis, I restored the computer to factory condition and, after turning it on, immediately disabled Windows Update before linking to a wifi network. I used the computer like this for a full day, and it worked flawlessly: no cursor jumping, no confusion between laptop and tablet modes. As soon as I enabled Windows Update and the updates began to download and install, the cursor began to jump again, and the computer began to get confused again about laptop and tablet modes... Therefore I agree with your assessment that the source of the issue is in the software, very likely Windows 10. I will not perform the push button reset or reinstall Windows because I have already done those two things when I reset the computer to factory condition; the result of those operations is already known. The problem will return as soon as Windows begins to download updates, and the computer needs the updates in order to remain secure.

My question is, when will HP and MS seriously dissect the issue and find a fix for it? There has to be a way to identify the underlying cause, which I suspect is in the video card. I have read support threads sponsored by competitors who make similar products (Dell, Asus), and their customers report the exact same issue, indicating that it is a general problem with this class of device. Please find a fix! I cannot stand having to waste 10-15 minutes every time I want to log into my computer from sleep. I have been a loyal HP customer for 13 years, but this is a poor test of one's patience.

HP Recommended

@Archelaos

Thank you for replying!

I understand your concern and to help you out, 

I have escalated your concern to HP's Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options (if any). 

You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding Holidays & Weekends). 

Response times may vary by region. 

Please send a Private Message, if you aren't contacted within 4-5 business days.  

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (such as serial numbers and case details).

And Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well, 

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Could you please let me know if HP provided a solution to your problem?

I have exactly the same issue.

Thank you,

Fred

HP Recommended

Thank you for posting to this thread, Fred. No, unfortunately HP punted on the issue: in the end, they had a support rep here in Italy call me to say they can do nothing and that I should try contacting Microsoft support. Microsoft's U.S. support page has absolutely no interface for contacting them re: this problem. I've resorted to the solution I've seen in related posts: I've deactivated the touchscreen entirely, turning it on only when I need to use the computer away from my desk. Without the touchscreen it works perfectly. Sad that no one higher up in Support wants to investigate the issue.

HP Recommended

Update: I just installed the Feature update to Windows 10 version 1903, which resulted in a reset of many basic system parameters, including reactivating the touchscreen (which I've kept deactivated for nearly 2 years). Inexplicably, the touchscreen works again, mostly. The bloom of touch points still appears on occasion (mostly in the upper right corner), rendering the system momentarily unusable, but the frequency and intensity of the problem have both diminished noticeably, and stability can be restored relatively easily by putting the system to sleep and waking it up just a few times. The result is that I can use the touchscreen and tablet mode for hours at a time with relative reliability, a thing unseen since the unit was taken out of the box.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.