Post new question
Question

Student
Message 1 of 2 (1,252 Views)

My keyboard is not working properly after a drop of water - HP Pavilion TS 15 notebook

[ Edited ]
Product Name: pavilion ts 15
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello,

I had a drop  of water on my keyboard and since then my keyboard is gone crazy. I can use some letters but others dont appear at all.

I've used an external keyboard and still the problem persists. That means it is a software problem and not a hardware one.

I have used many ways to fix it like the device manager or the bios and even the regedit... Nothing changed at all and I am still facing the same problem.

I even tried taking off the battery and pressed the turn on button for a minute.

What do you recommend doing to fix such a problem? I am using the touch screen keyboard.

Info: HP Pavilion, model 75z-N100, windows 8.1 64bit.

Thank you,

Tony

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 2 (1,214 Views)

Re: My keyboard is not working properly after a drop of a water drop - HP Pavilion TS 15 notebook

[ Edited ]

Hi @Tony1981,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! Smiley Happy Good day!  How  are you? Smiley Happy I see that the computer’s keyboard does not work correctly. I will be delighted to assist t you here. Smiley Happy

Stupendous effort on diagnosing the issue correctly. It is always a privilege to work with customers that have superlative technical skills. Smiley Happy Kudos to you for that. Smiley Happy We at HP greatly value your relationship with us and I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. Smiley Happy

First off, we need to isolate the issue to being hardware or software related.

Please perform a hard reset: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684768

Please check in the command prompt to isolate correctly if the issue is hardware or software related.

Steps:

• Power down the unit. When you power it back up, immediately tap the F11 key gently several times.
  • It takes you to recovery manager. Here please select the option “Troubleshoot”. Then please select “Advanced options “ and  “command prompt”
  • Type all the keyboard characters in this black window especially the keys that do not work correctly.
  • If F11 does not take you to recovery manager, please keep tapping the “ESC” gently several times the instant you power on the unit. It takes you to the startup menu and you could press F11 from there to go to recovery manager.

If all the keys work correctly here, the issue could be software related. Otherwise, there is an issue either with the keyboard, or the keyboard controllers on the motherboard. In this case please contact HP phone support. If the unit is under warranty, repair services should be covered by the manufacturer’s warranty. You could look up the unit’s warranty by visiting this link: http://support.hp.com/gb-en/checkwarranty/  and select the country of purchase and follow the on-screen instructions Link to visit HP phone support: http://hp.com/contacthp Please select the country of purchase and follow the on-screen instructions.

If it is deduced as water spillage, there may be a charge for repairing the unit.   

If all the keys work correctly in the command prompt, then please backup all your files and try to perform a system recovery to factory settings from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-15-Notebook-PC-series/5436989/model/6422017/document... by selecting the correct recovery option relevant to your computer.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you .Smiley Happy

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.  Smiley Happy

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. Smiley Happy

Happy holidays to you and your familySmiley Happy  Take care.Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation