Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

My PC just got blown to bits by a virus.
I hope to be able to rescue the data files including those that define such as accounts, rules  and contain emails.
How can I restore my OE as closely as possible to its original configuration and emails using these files?
Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So, the first thing you need to do when you get the computer back is to open Outlook Express, decline the prompt to create a new email account, and go to Tools > Options > Maintenance tab and click the "Store Folder" button.  You can copy the path and that gives you the new {GUID} that you can use to locate the Store Folder and Registry key.

Hopefully your backup folders will have your old Store Folder complete with all the DBX files.  With Outlook Express closed it would be good practice to rename all the existing *.DBX files in your CURRENT Store Folder to eg. "New_Empty_Inbox.dbx", etc, and then copy the OLD ones from your backup into the NEW Store Folder.

All it usually takes then is to open Outlook Express again then close it.  All your original folder structure and email messages SHOULD then have been restored and it is just a case of importing your backed up settings from your modified *.REG file into your current registry. (Or )

Everything under the "5.0" key in:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0]

Should restore your message rules, toolbar and general interface layout, blocked senders, etc. Or if thus not be able to recover the files then you will Outlook Express repair online service. https://onlinefilerepair.com/en/outlookexpress-repair-online.html

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi there @PaulBall,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts and other support personnel. I understand that you are looking for help recovering your email and settings after a virus problem. I am happy to give you a hand with this.

I assume you are referring to a flavor of Outlook. With that in mind it may be best to talk to Microsoft directly over this, or check on their support forums.

Outlook.com - windows.microsoft.com

Contact us - support.microsoft.com

I hope this helps.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

So, the first thing you need to do when you get the computer back is to open Outlook Express, decline the prompt to create a new email account, and go to Tools > Options > Maintenance tab and click the "Store Folder" button.  You can copy the path and that gives you the new {GUID} that you can use to locate the Store Folder and Registry key.

Hopefully your backup folders will have your old Store Folder complete with all the DBX files.  With Outlook Express closed it would be good practice to rename all the existing *.DBX files in your CURRENT Store Folder to eg. "New_Empty_Inbox.dbx", etc, and then copy the OLD ones from your backup into the NEW Store Folder.

All it usually takes then is to open Outlook Express again then close it.  All your original folder structure and email messages SHOULD then have been restored and it is just a case of importing your backed up settings from your modified *.REG file into your current registry. (Or )

Everything under the "5.0" key in:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0]

Should restore your message rules, toolbar and general interface layout, blocked senders, etc. Or if thus not be able to recover the files then you will Outlook Express repair online service. https://onlinefilerepair.com/en/outlookexpress-repair-online.html

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Thank you all for your advice! The issue has been resolved.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.