Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Envy Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The cursor randomly jumps around the screen while at idle. I even have to struggle before I can enter my password when i turn the system on.  I have no control over it because If I am trying to click on somewhere specific on the screen the cursor will jump and click something different. At times it is so bad the computer becomes unusable. Being a student it's really hard for me. Urgently needs help, please. Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Habiba2,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I see from the post that you are having issues with the cursor randomly jumps all around the screen. Don't worry we'll work together to help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Could you provide me with the exact model of the PC? Use this link to find it:  https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03754824  (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

Have you recently made any changes on the PC before the issue started?

Did you reinstall the touchpad or display drivers from the device manager?

Was the update attempted from the HP website or the HP Support assistance?

Did you check if an alternate or external mouse works without these issues?

If you haven't, I recommend you try the below steps:

Attempt using an alternate/external mouse. 

(If that works when the touchpad is disabled on Synaptics software, it would mean that it's a touchpad failure,

However, if the external mouse doesn't work either, it could be a software/driver issue).

Check the Mouse options under control panel:

Start → Control Panel → Mouse → Buttons tab.
Check the box labeled "Use MS Office compatible scroll only."
Also, check the box below labeled "Scroll in active window only."

Attempt using an alternate/external mouse.

Uninstall and reinstall the drivers for your mouse:

Go to the Device Manager and select your mouse. Uninstall it and then restart your computer. During restart, your mouse driver will automatically be reinstalled.

• 1.   Click on Start and type ‘Device Manager’.
  • 2.   Click Device Manager.
  • 3.   Click + sign next to Mouse.
  • 4.   Right-click on mouse entry and choose "uninstall".
  • 5.   Restart your computer.

Next thing, I would suggest here is to update the Bios, Chipset and touchpad drivers on your PC from our HP support website, using this link.

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes, I did try using an external mouse but it didn't work. I had to struggle to enter my pin whenever I start the notebook. I can't remember doing any changes to the PC before the problems started.

I was able to uninstall the mouse driver and restarts the system but ever since I did that I have not been able to use the system because I cant enter my PIN. I am even more confused than ever because I am stuck.

The model number is HP Envy Notebook 13-ab009na

HP Recommended

I absolutely don't have control over my PC anymore. I guess I have lost everything.:Crying:

HP Recommended

@Habiba2,

It is great to have you back, I see that you have already tried the steps suggested and still having the issue. Don't worry as I have a few other steps which should help you in narrowing down the issue.

Let's try to restart the computer and tap on F10 during restart, once on BIOS screen, check if the cursor randomly jumps around the screen, 

If it does, it would confirm a software issue and you follow the below steps if it doesn't work on its a hardware failure and I would suggest a touchpad replacement. 

If it works normally in the bios, then I would suggest here is to perform a system recovery using the partition available on your PC.

Doing this will wipe off everything and set the computer back to the original factory conditions. So, please remember to back up your data before initiating system recovery. If for some reason the recovery fails. The only other way to install Windows would be to order the recovery media for your laptop and using the recovery media you can install Windows. You can check if the recovery media is available online on www.hp.com/drivers by entering the exact model no. of your laptop. To find the exact model no. click here: http://hp.care/2bygf7l

HP PCs - How to Reset Your Computer to Factory Settings (Windows 10, 8, 7)

HP PCs - Obtaining HP Recovery Discs or an HP USB Recovery Drive

I'm sending out a Private message with the information you need to get this sorted,

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile 

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it 

The reason we are utilizing the private message now, is because the instructions are critical

Keep me posted,

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

In my case, this was a *solvable* hardware issue, resulting from the HP Envy's touchpad responding improperly to fluctuations in the grounding system.  My model is the HP Envy N01-dx, and I am typing on it right now.  I have had no jumpy mouse issues for over a year since my fix.   My solution was to remove the touchpad's grounding entirely, which requires completely dissassembling the computer down to the touchpad, and removing all grounding strips and pads from it, and those of the metal bar which connects the pad physically to the mouse button.  Others, myself included, have tried software solutions, but they basically don't work.  This is very definitely a hardware issue and a bad design issue.  Hope  my solution works for you!  Please reply if it does, or mark "solved".

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.