Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Officejet 8600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Using the HP Printer Assist software application on my laptop.  I used the Send a Fax option the other day to create an electronic cover page & scan my documents, I cancelled that option and did not fax.... since then the "send a fax" box will randomly start and open on its own.   I keep cancelling it, but it shows up again later how can I stop this from opening other than uninstalling the program & re-installing it? 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Tamy1

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Try restarting the Computer. If that doesn't work, let's try to do a root uninstall and reinstall of the software:

Unplug any USB cable, if any, before doing this.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between "printui.exe" and "/s")

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo

14.) Type c:/programdata and click Ok. Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

15.) Restart the computer. 

Once done, please download and install the software from here: 

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day! 

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

thank you for the information, however before I do your suggestions I want to provide more information.  a week ago I reset my Toshiba laptop because it was randomly crashing on me(blue screen),,, this removed personalization etc,, and I noticed that the HP printer software was missing from my desktop- I checked the list of application and did not find it, so I went to HP.com logged in and downloaded a new file..... tried using the fax option & then noticed the constant restart of it & that is when I posted on this community board.... however, since then I have discovered that when I use CTRL P on my keyboard to do a screen print-- a few seconds later I see the FAX wizard start to load, it happens every time I do CTRL P that starts to run--- I would hate to go through all of the steps you listed, then reinstall it again only to discover it does it again when I try to screen print.   Now that I provided this new information- what do you suggest? 

HP Recommended

Are you able to print otherwise and the fax wizard does not pop up if you do not use Ctrl+P?

If yes, this could be a computer issue and would request you to contact Toshiba. If no, you can try the steps given to you.

Let us know 🙂

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.