Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavillion p671of
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

All of a sudden I am having problems with HP Photo Viewer in Windows 10.  When I choose "Open with HP Photo Viewer" the photo will open, BUT when I hit "edit" nothing happens.  If I hit "edit" again it now says Hp Media in use, try importing directly, but still cannot get edit to open regardless of what I try.  Any suggestions as to how to fix this?  I like using HP Photo Viewer, has more features and is more user friendly than Windows Photo.  

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Ron103

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂 

I understand that you have an HP Pavilion p6710f Desktop PC and the HP Photo Viewer is not working properly in Win10. You're able to open a photo but you're unable to edit it. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• Did this issue start after you upgraded to Win10 or was the HP Photo Viewer working fine in Win10 earlier?

I did some research and found that your PC originally came with Win7. It is quite possible that the HP Photo Viewer is not fully compatible with Win10. 

Instead, have you tried to use the HP Connected Photo. You may download it from the Windows Store. Though it says that is it for Win8, you can still try to use it on Win10 and check if it helps. 

I hope this information helps. Keep me posted. Take care! 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

I updated to Windows 10 at least a year or so ago and had no problems with the HP Photo viewer.  I think the last time I used it problem free was a couple of weeks ago.

However, when I tried to use it two days ago I encountered the problem that is the subject of my post.

To elaborate, I have a photo, usually a jpg scan, saved in my desk top.  I click on open with HP Photo Viewer and the photo opens, with the tool bar at the bottom to rotate, etc, and edit.  The buttons work except for edit.  When I click on edit, nothing happens, and if I click again it says HP media in use.

Now, thinking back to when it was working correctly, after the first time I clicked on the edit at the bottom, if I remember correctly, there would be a slight delay and then the photo would reopen with a toolbar acoss the top that I would have to click on edit in order to use the other features.  This does not happen.  Hope this information may help in getting a solution.

Thanks again. 

HP Recommended

@Ron103

You're welcome. 🙂

I suggest you to perform a Microsoft System Restore to rollback to an earlier date when the HP Photo Viewer worked fine. This will not delete your data. Maybe some changes may have taken place internally due to which the HP photo view is not working properly now. Post a system restore you may try to use the HP photo view and check. 

Good luck! 

HP Recommended

Don't have a restore point old enough.  HP Connected Photo can only be downloaded as an app, not installed as a program.  Do you know of any way that I can repair HP MediaSmart and/or HP Photo Viewer.  In programs I only have the option to uninstall, not repair.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

@Ron103

Hi,

I tried looking for a download of HP Photo viewer and finally found a downloadable file. I'm not quite positive it would work with Win10 though. Because everywhere I searched, It is stated for older versions of Windows. However, I will still give you the download link:  http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp51001-51500/sp51031.exe

Moreover, is the recovery partition still intact in your computer or has it been wiped out after upgrading to Win10? Because if the recovery partition is good then we can try to install a copy of HP photo viewer from the recovery partition (but again it is for Win7).

All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

Tried installing that download both in the regular way and compatability mode---it didn't work.  Don't know how to attempt a recovery copy from  the partition, or whether the partition even exists.  If you can tell me how to try that, I will, and if that doesn't work I guess I'll just have to forget attempting to fix it.

Thanks again. 

HP Recommended

@Ron103

Please attempt these steps to check if the recovery partition is intact at the moment:

• Let the computer be powered off.
  • Power on the PC and tap the F11 key repeatedly as soon as the PC powers on. Leave the F11 key after tapping it for 10 to 12 times
  • This will load the recovery partition as shown below:

Recovery Manager main screen

• Under I need help immediately, click Software Program Reinstallation.

• On the Software Program Reinstallation welcome screen, click Next.

• Look in the Factory installed programs list for the software program you want to reinstall.

• If your software program is listed, select the title.

• If the program you want to reinstall is not listed, select The program is not in the list, and then click Next. Follow the instructions to reinstall the program.

Figure : Select program to reinstall

Software Program Reinstallation window

All the best! 

HP Recommended

Could not fix in partition.  HOWEVER, today Windows did an auto update and the problem was fixed.  Thanks for taking all the time to try and help.

HP Recommended

@Ron103

You're welcome. 🙂

I'm glad to know that the issue is finally fixed with the Photo viewer. I do appreciate your patience and efforts. 

Cheers! 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.