Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Z-series workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Following up on a previous thread ("Prevent screen lock when closing RGS remote session"), Windows Update throws a nasty surprise into the mix:

To summarize the above thread, when the remote user disconnects (intentional or by network drop), RGS / ZCentral locks the local console.  The user is still logged in, but with a local login screen.  

Windows interprets this (RGS/Zcentral) locking of the console as an inactive user session, and will initiate an update -- EVEN WHEN "No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations" is set group policies.  See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-server-update-services/deploy... for the corresponding keys for Windows Server; Win10 uses the same.

There does not appear to be a way to stop Windows from rebooting a machine that both (A) has pending updates and (B) does not have any active logged in users.  Zcentral's behaviour on a client disconnect satisfies (B), and Windows will reboot -- even in the middle of full CPU load or other activities.  Not cool.   

Long story, short -- a system that should not be rebooted (The controller for a piece of scientific instrumentation, in my case) is automatically rebooted even while a user session is active in the background. 

HP, this is REALLY bad.  I realize that part of the blame falls on Microsoft for their heavy-handed auto-update policies, but an easy fix is to change the RGS/ZCentral behaviour to not lock the local console on disconnect.  

Make it configurable, sure, but at least give us the option. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I replied to your private email.

I am an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.