Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

I just purchased a new HP OfficeJet Pro 9025e printer.  I cannot remove the old printer from my HP Smart account.  As per other posts, Under Printers I have 2 printers listed.  The new one says Connected to Internet, Security monitor, and Ready to print.  The old printer HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 says Disconnected to Internet,  I originally selected the down arrow and selected Remove Printer.  The printer is still there and the down arrow is no longer available to remove this printer.  I've been on the phone for over two hours with HP and both times the tech has tried to help me they put me on hold and then eventually I got disconnected.  

Please help me with this very frustrating problem.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@dchaves1234 

Welcome to the HP User Community.

Idea

Start with the first suggestion and continue with one or more of the rest of the list...

=======================================================================

First

Make sure the printer software for the old (unwanted) printer is uninstalled from Programs and Features

Check / Remove the unwanted printer from Devices and Printers

Any changes?  Restart the computer and sign in

Windows 11

Settings > System > Bluetooth & devices > Printers and scanners

Windows 11 – Settings Path to “Devices and Printers”

Settings > System > Bluetooth & devices > Scroll down > Devices and printers

Windows 10

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers

HP Smart (Windows app) > Settings > Scroll down > Select "Hide Printer"

Uninstall HP Smart application from Settings > Apps > Apps and Features

Restart the computer and sign in

Next > Check / Remove unwanted device / printer from your Dashboard

Install a fresh copy of the HP Smart application from the

Microsoft Store

=====================================

Can't stand it?  😑

This might work: Skip uninstalling HP Smart app.

Next

Remove any unwanted device / printer from your Dashboard

HP Account - Login / Dashboard

Note:  Log into your HP Account if / when you need central access to your device information, including the ability to update your personal  information.

Example - HP Account Dashboard - Remove Device /  Printer

HP_Account_Dashboard_4HP_Account_Dashboard_4

Check / If possible, remove unwanted device / printer from the HP Support Assistant.

Note that this is NOT related to HP Smart and can be ignored in the context of the current question.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

The printer that I am trying to remove does NOT appear on my computer.  I correctly removed it.  The printer only appears in my HP Smart Account so when I use this app both the new and old printer appear. The printer appears in the app on my computer as well as my iPhone.  My husband just installed the HP app on his iPhone and both printers are there too.

HP Recommended

@dchaves1234 

OK - Yes - normally the Uninstall of the printer software removes the instance of the printer in Devices and Printers.

Good to have checked...

Normally using "Hide printer" would remove the printer from the HP Smart app.

And certainly, the old printer - having been removed from your HP Dashboard - would not normally be added to a new installation of the HP Smart application.

Reference

HP Account - Login / Dashboard

Note:  Log into your HP Account if / when you need central access to your device information, including the ability to update your personal  information.

HP Support Personal Dashboard Resource Guide 

===========================================================================

?

Check whether the unwanted printer is showing up in your HP Smart / HP Connected account.

HP Smart / HP Connected Login

Click Flag to switch to your region

===========================================================================

If I think of anything else, I'll post back or update this message.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.