Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
RGS 8 / RB 2020
macOS 10.15 Catalina

We can not start the RGS receiver on OSX Catalina. Starting the app via the icon does not start the application. Using the terminal we get the following error message:

HP ZCentral Remote Boost Receiver: /Users/rockstars/Documents/Jenkins/workspace/20.0-Release-Build/lib/ice/3.7.2/include/IceUtil/Handle.h:41: ::IceUtil::NullHandleException

We had the same problem with version 7.7.

Anybody else with the same problem and a possible solution?

thanks,

Stefan

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi Stefan,

To better understand the situation, I need to collect more information from your systems.

For that reason, I sent you a private message asking for logs and instructions on how you can upload the files, if you'd like.

Also, we've noticed that some users have been having issues with receiver startup due to the presence of non-ASCII characters on their user's account names, which caused RGS to fail to read some paths.

Could that be something that is affecting your receiver?

e.g. /Users/<user>/Library/Logs/HP/rgreceiver/ 

------------------------
I work on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

I am having the same problem with the HP RGS Receiver failing to start on macOS 10.14.6 with the following error:

HP Remote Graphics Receiver: /Users/rockstars/Documents/Jenkins/workspace/7.7-Release-Build/lib/ice/3.7.2/include/IceUtil/Handle.h:41: ::IceUtil::NullHandleException

I get this error both with version 7.7.0.20876 and 20.0.0.23427. The last version which starts correctly is 7.6.1.19438

In ~/Library/logs/hp/rgreceiver the last messages I see before the application quits (before opening any window) are:

03-30-20 14:29:38 3213(177313216) ERROR - Receiver::IceFacade::createLiveAdapter - src/plugin/IceLiveSocket/Network.cpp:34: ::Ice::SocketException
03-30-20 14:29:38 3213(177313216) ERROR - Receiver::IceFacade::createLiveAdapter - /Users/rockstars/Documents/Jenkins/workspace/7.7-Release-Build/lib/ice/3.7.2/include/IceUtil/Handle.h:41: ::IceUtil::NullHandleException
03-30-20 14:29:38 3213(177313216) FATAL - ReceiverApplication::run

HP Recommended

A workaround that seems to resolve the issue for me and allows RGS Receiver 7.7.0 and 2020.0.0 to start:

sudo sysctl -w kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=8000000

If you create the file "liveSocketLog.txt" in the current directory from where you run RGS Receiver, for instance:

touch liveSocketLog.txt

/Applications/HP\ RGS\ Receiver.app/Contents/MacOS/HP\ RGS\ Receiver

you will find the following logs that pointed to the app being unable to increase socket buffer size. Presumably the macOS systems on which the current versions of RGS are being tested have this non-default value permanently set.

(0) LOG: 2020-03-30 23:47:22.661 I [global]: set global LiveUDP CC Mode : 1
(0) LOG: 2020-03-30 23:47:22.661 I [global]: set global liveQ tlr : 4
(0) LOG: 2020-03-30 23:47:22.661 I [global]: set global LiveUDP MTU : 1000
(0) LOG: 2020-03-30 23:47:23.436 E [global]: COULD NOT SET BUFFER SIZE. Error:55
(0) LOG: 2020-03-30 23:47:23.436 E [global]: Error creating fdInfo for new socket!

HP Recommended

JFP2: I tried the workaround-steps, had the same error "COULD NOT SET BUFFER SIZE. Error:55, Error creating fdInfo for new socket!" and I can confirm that the workaround worked. Thanks for the info! 

LizzyG, The username had no special characters. I replied via DM for the logs and infos you requested. 

HP Recommended

Thank you so much! This worked for me on 10.13.6! Much appreciated!

HP Recommended

Hola Cual fue tu solucion?

gracias

HP Recommended

Cjhrey,

Look at the last reply from JFP2 above.

They found a workaround by increasing the socket buffer size: 

sudo sysctl -w kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=8000000

You can follow JFP2's instructions to create a log file and see if you get the same error messages.

------------------------
I work on behalf of HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.