Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP RGS
Linux

I have user experiencing a lot of stability issues using RGS software to access a remote Linux machine (CentOS 7.4).

RGS sessions seem to crash at random, when this happens the user tries to establish the connection again and is greeted with a black screen on the Linux machine and an "Establishing Connection..." RGS dialogue box. I've been able to resolve with a reboot but am obviously keen to get to the root cause.

I've gone through the logs and tracked down where I believe the issue is, although I'm not entirely sure what the messages mean.

Excerpt from rg.log

04-17-20 17:08:27 INFO - Sender::Application::processCommandLine - DISPLAY: DISPLAY=:0
04-17-20 17:08:28 FATAL - Sender::Application::createSenderObjectAdapter - retrying... attempt: 0
04-17-20 17:08:29 FATAL - Sender::Application::createSenderObjectAdapter - retrying... attempt: 1
04-17-20 17:08:30 FATAL - Sender::Application::createSenderObjectAdapter - retrying... attempt: 2
04-17-20 17:08:31 FATAL - Sender::Application::createSenderObjectAdapter - retrying... attempt: 3
04-17-20 17:08:32 FATAL - Sender::Application::createSenderObjectAdapter - retrying... attempt: 4
04-17-20 17:08:33 FATAL - Sender::Application::createSenderObjectAdapter - retrying... attempt: 5
04-17-20 17:08:33 FATAL - Sender::Application::createSenderObjectAdapter - src/Ice/Network.cpp:2410: ::Ice::SocketException
04-17-20 17:08:33 ERROR - Sender::Application::run - src/Ice/Network.cpp:2410: ::Ice::SocketException
04-17-20 17:08:33 ERROR - HP Remote Graphics Sender: src/Ice/Network.cpp:2410: ::Ice::SocketException
04-17-20 17:08:33 INFO - Sender::Application::main - application exiting with status 1
04-17-20 17:08:52 ERROR - ConnectionControlIceImpl::floorOwnerChanged: src/Ice/StreamSocket.cpp:243: ::Ice::ConnectionLostException

Excerpt from rgExit.log

HP Remote Graphics Sender: src/Ice/Network.cpp:2410: ::Ice::SocketException:
socket exception: Address already in use

To me, it looks as though another application could be vying for use of the same network port on the Linux machine, but I've been unable to find anything else on port 42966.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to try here?

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi Caleb,

This looks similar to the issue some other users were having.

If you'd like to try it, there's this workaround to increase the socket buffer size suggested in this reply:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/HP-ZCentral-Remote-Boost/RGS-8-2020-OSX-Receiver-Error-on-startup/m-p/...

------------------------
I work on behalf of HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.