Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Im using HP Remote Graphics Receiver 7.6.0.18584, OS Windows 8.1 64-bit.

After starting HP Remote Graphics Receiver i see standart splash screen with logo and nothing after.

rgreceiver.exe process is closing immidiatly after showing splash screen.

I try to set log level to "debug" in receiver configuration tool, but there is no rg.log file in program dir.

there are no errors in windows logs also.

Reinstall doesnt help.

this problem persist on 2 PCs with win8.1.

i also have an win10 64bit PC and the same version of RGS works well.

how to make it work?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

So the log file you are looking for is not in the folder where RGS is installed.  If open up the receiver settings, and go to Logging, you will see the path.  Default is  C:\Users\username\hpremote\rgreceiver unless you modified it during the installation.  When you did you RGS installation, were you using Administrator privileges?  Did you install using the executable or command line installation? 

I work on the behalf of HP.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I installed RGS 7.6.0 Receiver on a Windows 8.1 system and did not experience any problems.  However, I am wondering about updates on your Windows 8.1 system.  Are they up to date?  You could also try installing these two files from Microsoft. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

We did have an issue with Windows 8.1 when these files were missing.  Install both x86 and x64 files and then try launching the Receiver.

I work on the behalf of HP.

I am an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.