Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Z8 G4 Workstation
Linux

I'm using HP RGS on Fedora Linux, which I know isn't supported.  But I think this problem is common to other supported operating systems.

So the LightDM display manager is explicity supported by RGS per the documentation.  I'm running LightDM, and recently switched from using xscreensaver as my screensaver/screenlocker to using light-locker, which is a nicer looking screen locker.  However, it seems to break RGS.

As far as I can tell, light-locker works by starting a new instance of LightDM on another display and forcing the computer to switch to that display.  The new display shows the greeter with the normal login prompt.  Once the user logs in, the new instance of LightDM closes and the user is switched back to their normal display.  It seems that RGS can't follow this convoluted approach, and I find I am unable to log on over RGS while ligth-locker is active.  The error states that another user is logged into the computer and hasn't allowed me to connect.  It seems that rgsender somehow thinks that root(?) is logged on at the console vs. my user account, and therefore blocks the connection.  It says it shows a dialog on the sender, but that isn't visible on the screen, possibly because the display is switched while light-locker is active.

Here is the actual text of the error I see when I try to connect to the Linux computer using RGS while light-locker has the screen locked:

"Authorization failed!

When you attempt to connect to another user's desktop a dialog is displayed on the Sender desktop asking the logged in user to allow your connection. A user is not allowed to connect to another user's desktop unless they are explicitly allowed/authorized. Either you were not granted access or the dialog timed-out and you were implicitly denied access."

Has anyone else tried using RGS and light-locker together??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Update: 

Light-locker is not supported. On Fedora 28, light-locker starts up a second X server. Multiple X servers are not supported with current versions of RGS and will likely cause several different issues. If light-locker can be configured to use the existing X server, then it might work with RGS. However, the screen locking feature used by RGS won’t communicate with the light-locker service.  Future versions of RGS will work with multiple X servers, but light-locker still may not work.

I work on the behalf of HP.

I am an HP employee.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello again,

This is what we currently support and I have posted what I have found in the user guide under troubleshooting connection issues. 
(Linux only)
Verify that the sender is not using an X desktop started on the command line. Outside connection
attempts might fail because of incomplete PAM session management and permissions for the console.
Login management should be handled by the display manager started by init run level 5.
RGS Sender natively supports the following display managers:
●     GNOME Display Manager (GDM)
●     KDE Display Manager (KDM)
●     LightDM
If the sender system uses a different PAM-based display manager, you can try the following:

NOTE:     This configuration might not work for some display managers.
a.       Find the configuration files for the display manager in /etc/pam.d/.
b.       Add the following line to the end of each file (create a backup of each file before
modifying it):
session optional pam_rg.so
c.       Restart the sender system.

Not sure if using collaboration would get you around this problem. 

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Update: 

Light-locker is not supported. On Fedora 28, light-locker starts up a second X server. Multiple X servers are not supported with current versions of RGS and will likely cause several different issues. If light-locker can be configured to use the existing X server, then it might work with RGS. However, the screen locking feature used by RGS won’t communicate with the light-locker service.  Future versions of RGS will work with multiple X servers, but light-locker still may not work.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thanks Kelly.  I'm not surprised that light-locker isn't supported.  As I wrote my original post, I realized how hard it would be for RGS as an X extension to work with what light-locker is doing.  Thanks for confirming.  I'll look for an alternative screen locker, probably just going back to xscreensaver.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.