Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP RGS
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

I recently installed the RGS sender on a HP z 440 Desktop PC and is asking for a license file.  Where do I get the license file?  I thought it is free when you installed on Z series desktop PC.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

You are correct.  RGS Sender is free on HP Z Series Workstations. 

From 7.4.0 User Guide:

RGS Sender is included with HP Z workstations and HP ZBook mobile workstations. A separate license purchase is not required for RGS Sender on these products.

RGS Sender requires a license if installed on any other computer. Further information can be found in the Licensing Guide

Not sure why it is prompting you for a license unless the license file did not get put in the correct location.  If you are using RGS 7.4.0 x64bit, it will now be installed in Program Files > HP > Remote Graphics Sender.  You should see a file called Preload.lic

If using RGS 7.3.3 or older, it will be located at Program Files (x86) > Hewlett-Packard > Remote Graphics Sender. 

Let me know if the Preload has a .txt after it.   That would indicate there is a problem with the licensing process.  However, we have not had any reports of problems with 7.4.0.  There is now a 32 bit and 64 bit version of RGS for Windows.

I work on the behalf of HP.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thought of one more reason why you might be getting prompted about the license.  Are you trying to upgrade from an older major version such as 6.x?  If so, you would need to point the RGS 7.4.0 installation to the RGS 6.x installation folder where the license resides.  However, for a good clean install, we recommend that you uninstall the older version, then install RGS 7.4.0.  Let me know.

I work on the behalf of HP.

I am an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.