Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP RGS Receiver
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I'm running RGS on my Macbook to view my linux desktop at work. Working beautifully, except for one glitch:   if I minimise the RGS window, either by clicking the little yellow circle or right-clicking the dock icon and selecting Hide, when I try to restore it all I get is the RGS connection prompt (or disconnect prompt, since it appears to be still connected). The only workaround at that point is to shut down RGS entirely and restart it.   Is this a known fault ? Is there a better solution? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Cheers -- I figured it out just before I saw this -- I think has to do with my monitor configuration. When I restored/unhid, it only restored the login prompt. 

My workaround had been to use fullscreen mode, and then Ctrl-arrow to switch desktops.  

But today I minimised again by mistake (when not in fullscreen, which as you say seems to be the only way to do it).... and then discovered this: 

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 3.16.58 PM.png

Selecting Show All Windows results in this:  

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 3.19.27 PM.png

(scribbled on because of the very paranoid industry I work in)

The window on the right being the RGS screen. So this looks like the switch desktop screen, but on the monitor with the dock (as opposed to the one with the RGS window).  Anyway, that lets me get to it again 🙂

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi KiwiJon,  What version of RGS are you using on the Sender & Receiver? What version of Linux?

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

Hi there, for the receiver it's 7.7.0.20876.   Not sure about the sender, but I would assume it's the latest. I can find out if needed.  IT's Kubuntu 18.04.

HP Recommended

Sender version: 7.7.0.20876

HP Recommended

Have resorted to using multiple desktops -- Ctrl arrows to toggle, and trying to make sure I don't minimise -- but still would love to know if there's a solution, or if this is a known bug with MacOS (or just my machine).

HP Recommended

When minimizing the RGS Receiver window on Mac (by clicking the yellow stoplight button) it should shrink down to its own icon on your dock.  You would use that icon to restore the window.  If you hide the application, the icon to restore the window does go away, but it should reappear when you unhide the application (by clicking on the application icon in the dock).

RossGGG_0-1585180074240.png

I have noticed a behavior similar to what you described when the RGS window is in Full Screen Mode.  In this mode, you cannot minimize the window since the yellow stoplight button is disabled.  If another window or dialog needs to appear in front of the RGS Window, such as when you switch to another application on your Mac, the whole window will slide away and be hidden.  In this situation, clicking the RGS Receiver icon on the dock seems to only make the connection/disconnection window active and leaves the RGS Receiver window hidden.  Clicking the RGS Receiver icon on the dock a second time, however, always unhides the RGS window for me.  Alternatively, you can bring up mission control (three-finger swipe up on trackpad/F3 or Fn+F3) and see that the RGS window is just on a separate Desktop that you can switch to from the bar at the top of the screen.

RossGGG_0-1585180553482.png

HP Recommended

Cheers -- I figured it out just before I saw this -- I think has to do with my monitor configuration. When I restored/unhid, it only restored the login prompt. 

My workaround had been to use fullscreen mode, and then Ctrl-arrow to switch desktops.  

But today I minimised again by mistake (when not in fullscreen, which as you say seems to be the only way to do it).... and then discovered this: 

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 3.16.58 PM.png

Selecting Show All Windows results in this:  

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 3.19.27 PM.png

(scribbled on because of the very paranoid industry I work in)

The window on the right being the RGS screen. So this looks like the switch desktop screen, but on the monitor with the dock (as opposed to the one with the RGS window).  Anyway, that lets me get to it again 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.