Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Installed on a desktop and a laptop but the printer only prints in black. The colour/black and white option in the dialogue box is simply missing. I have followed all install/uninstall/reinstall instructions. I have tried installing the basic and full driver packages. I have tried using the print and scan doctor. 

Anyone any thoughts?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@mardale1

I have gone through your post and I would like to help

Do you experience the same issue when making photocopies?

Please print a Quality Diagnostic Page and let me know how it prints

1. Load plain paper into the input tray.

2. On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, and then touch Setup.

3. Touch Tools, and then touch Print Quality Report.

A Print Quality Diagnostic page prints.

Image: Print Quality Diagnostic page

Keep me posted

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

The printer software is clearly not compatible with Windows 10. Both laptop and PC suffer the same issue. 

The solution was to bypass the software and install manually over TCPIP.

Sadly this means that the scan to PC funcationality doesn't work - nor does any other software driven tool.

The very unreasonable solution was to then reinstall the printer via the software alongside the manually added one. Now I have two printers listed, one that works as a printer but doesn't scan etc, and one the does scan etc but only printers in monochrome.

Less than ideal.

HP Recommended

The print quality test page prints fine.  When I can print, its black and white.  Sometimes the printer goes offline.

HP Recommended

@Artiemiami

I suggest you uninstall the printer driver from root level and download the full feature software

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
2.) Select your HP Printer 
3.) Select Uninstall 
4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
6.) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo.
7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
8.) Click on the “Drivers” tab 
9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
10.) Select Ok 
11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
12.) Close Devices and Printers
13.) Restart the computer and download the Full Feature Software from Here and follow the onscreen Instructions

Keep me posted

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I followed every step in your suggestions.  Now, when I try to print, I get the error "printer needs intervention".   the print job shows up in the print queue, but Restarting does not help. I have no problems in printing in color from my Iphone.

Is there a plan b?

HP Recommended

@mardale1

Try these steps - 

Try assigning a manual IP. Refer to this video link for step by step instructions. 

If the issue still persists, try adding a TCP/ IP port - 

1) Print a Network Configuration Report from the Printer Settings or Wireless menu.
2) Right-click your printer, select Printer Properties, click the Ports tab and then click Add Port.
3) Select Standard TCP/IP Port, and then click New Port.
4) Follow the instructions to add a new port using the information listed on the Network Configuration Report.
5) Try printing.

Also, try updating the printer's firmware. Refer to this document for steps - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

You may also refer to - HP Printers - 'User Intervention Required' Error When Printing (Windows)

Hope this helps!

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day ahead 🙂

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your suggestions.

On assigning a new manual IP address:  it suggested changing 192.168.0.5 to192.168.0.229.  However,  it comes back as invalid address.  I try to go back to auto suggestion, even that now comes back as invalid.

I added a new tcp/ip port. That helped; I can now print from my pc, but only Black & White. 

I tried to update my printer's firmware, but it is already up to date..  I can still print in color from my IPhone, but not from my PC.

HP Recommended

@mardale1

Please try creating a new user account and install the printer driver -

1. Tap the Windows icon.
2. Select Settings.
3. Tap Accounts.
4. Select Family & other users.
5. Tap "Add someone else to this PC."
6. Select "I don't have this person's sign-in information."
7. Select "Add a user without a Microsoft account."
8. Enter a username, type the account's password twice, enter a clue and select Next.
9. Tap the Windows icon.
10. Select the User icon at the upper left corner of the Start menu.
11. Select the new user. You'll then sign into your account with your password from step 8.

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.