12-12-2019 05:59 PM
HP deskjet suddenly stopped printing in color. Windows 10 installed in October 2019 and there have been no problems printing since it was installed. Last evening it printed several pages in color but this evening no color. Have used HP Print and Scan Dr. with no success.
Solved! Go to Solution.
12-15-2019 06:19 AM
Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the printing issue.
To better assist you - Does the copy works? If yes, let's try these steps -
Download and install HP Print and Scan Doctor, it is a Windows tool to fix printer issues.
If the issue still persists, try re-installing the printer driver -
1. In the search box, type and open "Uninstall a Program".
2. Look for HP Printer software.
3. Right-click to uninstall.
4. In the search box, type and open “Devices and printers”.
5. In the Devices and Printers, look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose “Delete” or “Remove Device”.
6. Open the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.
7. Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”).
8. Click on the "Drivers" tab.
9. Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click “Remove” at the bottom.
10. Select Ok.
11. Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows.
12. Close Devices and Printers Once the software and drivers are removed.
13. Restart the computer.
14. Download and install the software and drivers from here for Windows 10 (64-bit).
15. Click on the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.
Hope this helps! Keep me posted.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Have a great day!
I am an HP Employee
12-16-2019 06:26 PM
The printer does work but only in greyscale - no color comes through when printing documents (though when it prints a test page, there is blue ink). Both color and black and white cartridges are not empty.
I had Print and scan Doctor installed and went through those steps, but the problem persists.
I tried your steps -
First, "HP printer software" is not listed in the uninstall a program list.
But I went to the Control Panel, clicked on the printer and deleted the device, then typed in "printus.exe /s and clicked on the "drivers" tab. When I click on "remove" the driver I get a question: "remove driver only" or "remove driver and driver package"?
I checked remove driver only - then get an error message: Unable to remove HP Office jet 4650 series X64, Type 3 - user mode driver. The specified printer driver is currently in use." But the printer is NOT in use and I have turned it off.
So I can go no further...….
12-17-2019 05:50 AM
Restart the print spooler and try again -
1. Turn off the printer using the power button.
2. Search Windows for run, and click the Run Windows application in the list of results.
3. Type services.msc in the Run window, and then press Enter on the keyboard.
The Services menu opens.
4. Right-click Print Spooler and select Stop.
5. After the service has been stopped, close the service window and use Windows Explorer to browse to C:\Windows\System32\Spool\PRINTERS.
6. Delete all files inside the PRINTERS folder.
7. Restart your computer.
8. Turn on your printer.
Let me know.
I am an HP Employee
12-17-2019 05:52 PM
Thank you - I was able to do all of the steps you described but after re-starting, the printer isn't recognized by the computer so I'm re-installing. Will let you know if it works and if the color printing returns