Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
hp 5055
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I had to replace the color cartridge on my hp 5055.  When I tried to print in black and white/grayscale, a blank sheet of paper came out.  I tried to print a few more times, but still no luck.  I removed the black cartridge and re-inserted it (with some difficulty), but still no luck.

I ran the HP Print and Scan Doctor, but a message came up:  "A newer version of the software is available."  So I then clicked on Install, but then  I saw a message, "Install failed."

I then tried the Troubleshooter and eventually got to the page to install Firmware.  That ran for about 10 minutes, so I shut off the printer.

Oh yes, after I installed the new color cartridge, I printed an alignment sheet, but it was all in blue, except for "IMPORTANT" at the bottom of the page--but no other words were printed.  When I went to scan it, per instructions, the monitor said it could not detect the page, or something like that.   (The new color cartridge is not really new, but I had used it briefly before I realized that the original cartridge was still good..)

NEW 6/18/2019:  We found out that the copy feature also does not work.  Earlier this afternoon, I tried to conduct a virtual chat at HP.com, but the agent could not find my model of printer.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Mr_Cee

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Let's try to reset the Printer here:

Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

1. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
  2. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  3. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  4. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  5. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  6. NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.
  7. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  8. Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  9. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Also, try connecting the Printer to a different wall outlet directly.

Since you're unable to copy, this could be a hardware issue with the Printer.

Do you have another set of cartridges that you can check with?

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Nope, no luck.  All it did was to print the graphic (in blue). 

I followed your instructions.  I have had the printer plugged into a wall outlet for a few years.

My housemate can't believe that having a color cartridge is necessary .  We've had this discussion before, though.

The only way I have been able to print text (in Word) is to Select ALL, choose a blue color from the Font Color menu and then Print.  The color of the printed page will be BLACK.

I also printed this page, https://music.ecu.edu/friends-of-jazz/ which printed in blue.

Still a mystery.  Thanks for your suggestion.

HP Recommended

Mr_Cee

Manually clean the area around the ink nozzles

1. Gather the following materials:

• A clean, lint-free cloth or a clean, dry cotton swab

• Distilled or bottled water

CAUTION: 

Do not use tap water because it might contain contaminants that can damage the printhead.

2. Gently grasp the handles on either side of the printer, and then raise the ink cartridge access door until it locks into place.

The carriage moves to the center of the printer.

3. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

4. Lift up the lid on the ink cartridge slot, and then pull up on the ink cartridge to remove it from the slot.

Removing the ink cartridge

5. Hold the ink cartridge by its sides.

Holding the ink cartridge by its sides.

6. Lightly dampen a clean, lint-free cloth or swab with bottled or distilled water.

7. Clean the face and edges around the ink nozzle with the cloth or swab.

CAUTION: 

Do not clean the ink nozzle plate.

Cleaning the area around the ink nozzle

1. Nozzle plate - Do not clean

2. Area surrounding ink nozzle - Do clean

3. Ink cartridge contacts - Do not clean

8. Wait for the cleaned area to dry before you continue (approximately 10 minutes).

9. With the nozzles toward the printer, insert the ink cartridge into its slot until it snaps into place.

NOTE: 

Install the color ink cartridge on the left and the black ink cartridge on the right.

Inserting the ink cartridge.

10. Close the lid on the ink cartridge slot to secure the ink cartridge into place.

11. Repeat these steps to clean around the nozzles on the other ink cartridge.

12. Close the ink cartridge access door.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks.  I cleaned the area around the nozzles and followed the other steps, but it still won't print, unless it's in blue ink.

I printed an alignment page and then scanned it, but it would not scan, as the print was only in pink and blue..

I also tried to Print Quality Diagnostic , but it printed in pink and blue.

I checked the ink levels, which showed that the color level was full, but the black was low.  But if I print from Word and highlight the text in blue, it prints in black just fine.

I haven't had this printer for a year and don't do a lot of printing, certainly not 300 pages. 

Still trying.

HP Recommended

@Mr_Cee

This good to be a cartridge issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.