Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 3522 e-All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

One of my 564 ink cartridges will not work in my HP Deskjet 3522 e-All-in-One Printer.  An error message says "Older Cartridge -- cartridge for older generation of printer."  Yet this printer has always used 564 and the other three 564 cartridges work fine.  The cartridge looks like a 564 HP inkjet cartridge and says 564, though it's white, though the other cartridges are black. On the back are the numbers 038907604 and 03A070403. It indicates it was manufactured in Malaysia.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

See the document here regarding older generation cartridges.  My understanding is the changes were made well before the Deskjet 3520 was introduced, with the expectation that "old generation" cartridges would be flushed out of the system before the printers that would not accept them were introduced. (The references I see were from 2011, the cartridge end of warranty date would be 2013..) 

Is the ink HP or a third party brand? What store are you buying from?

What is the warranty date (on the lower right back side of the cardboard package, or on the cartridge itself as shown in the document here?  On the 564 cartridges the date will be in YYYY/MM format.  

c04409816

I would suspect the cartridges are not HP, but a third party brand.  In that case I suggest you contact your supplier for proper replacements.

Any cartridges you buy today (from HP) should be the correct cartridges.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @BanesCollide

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding the ink replacement.

You may refer to this document for more information - HP Printers -'Older Cartridge' Message Displays

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

Have a great day! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The 800 number you gave me for replacement ink just leads to virtual tech support which I've already been through. I already identified that the error message says "Older Cartridge -- cartridge for older generation of printer."   HP only identifies the compatible cartridge for HP Deskjet 3520 e-All-in-One Printers as HP 564, which was what my cartridge is.

HP Recommended

See the document here regarding older generation cartridges.  My understanding is the changes were made well before the Deskjet 3520 was introduced, with the expectation that "old generation" cartridges would be flushed out of the system before the printers that would not accept them were introduced. (The references I see were from 2011, the cartridge end of warranty date would be 2013..) 

Is the ink HP or a third party brand? What store are you buying from?

What is the warranty date (on the lower right back side of the cardboard package, or on the cartridge itself as shown in the document here?  On the 564 cartridges the date will be in YYYY/MM format.  

c04409816

I would suspect the cartridges are not HP, but a third party brand.  In that case I suggest you contact your supplier for proper replacements.

Any cartridges you buy today (from HP) should be the correct cartridges.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

It is an HP cartridge, but I see it says 2012 on the cartridge, so it's expired.  I bought it from a third party.

HP Recommended

The cartridges you have are pretty old.  Even without the "older generation" issue, it is possible/likely that cartridges nearly ten years old will have some quality issues. Cartridges stored for a long time may lose water (even though the plastic wrapping) and cause the ink to thicken to the point where they will not work properly.  

If I buy cartridges on eBay or similar I make a point of checking the expiration dates before bidding.  For best results I would look for cartridges no more than a couple of years out of warranty, and only then if at significant savings over "new" cartridges.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.