Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
office jet 6962
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

My Officejet 6962 does not print in color any longer.  it does not print color from the MAC or PC and it does not copy a color document.    it is 18 months old.  I did  ALL the diagnostic steps from the HP website.  4 brand new ink cartridges. 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@ejdj

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that your HP OfficeJet 6962 All-in-One Printer does not print and copy in color. You have installed all new HP ink cartridges and the issue still persists, 

I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

Let me know if this issue started before you replaced the ink cartridges or only after installing the 4 new ink cartridges?

Did the printer go through the alignment after installing the new ink cartridges?

Is there any error on the printer or while printing?

While you respond to that, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate and fix the issue:

NOTE: You may skip any steps that have been attempted already.

• Disconnect the power cable from the printer while the printer is still ON.
  • Disconnect any other cables if connected the printer.
  • Press and hold the printer’s power button for 15 seconds.
  • The printer should be directly connected to the wall outlet and not to a surge protector.
  • Reconnect the power cable to print and the printer should power ON by itself. If the printer doesn’t power ON then please manually power it ON.

Please update the firmware on the printer by downloading it from this HP link: www.hp.com/drivers

NOTE: The printer needs to be restarted once the firmware is successfully updates. 

Please try to print. If the issue persists then manually align the printer by following the below steps:

• From the printer control panel, open the Setup  menu.
  • Open the Printer Maintenance or Tools menu.

• Touch Align Printhead.

• An alignment page prints.

Also, perform the following steps if the printer is unable to print in color: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-6960-all-in-one-printer-series/9514854/model/95147...

• Step 9: Make sure the ink cartridges are properly vented and seated correctly
  • Step 10: Print a Print Quality Diagnostic Page.
  • Step 15: Clean the printhead.

I sincerely hope this information helps. Please feel free to keep me posted for further assistance.

All the best!

If you would like to thank us for the efforts to help you, feel free to mark this post as "Accept as solution". That’ll help everyone find the solution and help the community to grow. ​​​​​​​

HP Recommended

Thank you for responding to my message.    I had already done all the steps you suggested.   I had been dealing with this problem for days before I finally sent a message.    I first thought it was a connection problem between computer and printer but then I tried to make a photocopy of a color photograph and there was no color in that ... only black and gray tones.   This is my second HP printer that I have owned, the previous one also gave me problems.   Once my black ink runs out I will buy another printer BUT IT WILL NOT BUY  HP.

Thank you for your time

HP Recommended

@ejdj

You're welcome. 

I understand your frustration. I have sent you a private message suggesting the next course of action. 

Hope that helps. Good luck! 

HP Recommended

Reseating the cartridge, then doing the power cycle thing, did the trick for me.

HP Recommended

I have the same issue that my color is no longer working.  Everything prints like it is set on grayscale.   It will not print color.   It will not copy in color.  It will scan in color.  All the cartridges are at least half full.  I have reset them and checked the vents.  I have updated everything I can.  I just bought this printer at Staples on 10/16/19.  Can you help me?   

HP Recommended

Please help me I have a Hp officejet 6962. I put new ink in it and the color ink is not printing.  I need help

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.