Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 7640
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Printer started making this noise about a month ago. Paper jam preceded it. There is no paper blocking anything. I reassembled the jammed piece of paper to make sure I got it all out. When a print is sent to the printer, it makes a loud grinding noise coming from the right front of the printer. Lasts for about 4-5 seconds, then the printer starts printing. No printing quality issues. Have printed out alignment test, etc. NO error messages on the main screen. Have done to power on/unplug reset, power off/unplug for 60 seconds. nothing has helped...

when I open the cover to access the print cartridges (as if to change them) the cartridge carriage does NOT move to the center...

Would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions..

Jeff

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@bnmjeff I'm afraid that would mean that its a hardware malfunction and I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@bnmjeff I suggest you Perform a power reset, followed by the below steps to resolve the issue:

1. Turn on the printer, if it is not already on.
  2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
  3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  4. Wait at least 30 seconds.
  5. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  6. Turn on the printer.

Clear any jammed paper from the printer.

Make sure that the printer is placed on a flat surface.

1. Turn on the printer, if it is not already on.

2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

3. While the printer is still on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer, and then unplug the power cord from the power source or electrical outlet.

4. Disconnect the USB cable from the rear of the printer, if you have a cable connection to the printer.

5. Turn the printer onto its right side so you can access its underside. Make sure to hold the printer firmly with one hand to avoid tipping.

Figure : Turn the printer onto its right side

Image: Turn the printer onto its right side
  6. Use a flashlight to check the surface directly under and around where the printer sits for the following:

• Pieces of paper trapped in the input tray

• Small, hard objects, such as cables, pens, pencils, and books

• Soft or uneven surfaces, such as placemats or carpet-like material

7. Remove any obstructions that might remain.

8. Push in the input tray, and then turn the printer over to the upright position.

9. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer, and then plug in the power cord to an electrical outlet.

10. Reconnect the USB or Ethernet cable, unless your printer is connected to a wireless network.

11. Turn on the printer.

Clean the rollers from inside the printer.

Clean the ADF rollers and the separator pad.

Click here and refer the document to perform the above steps.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep me posted, as I (Or a trusted colleague) shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed, 

And your device is up and running again, only in case you don't get back to us, first! 

That said, If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us, and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply, but as I stated in my original posting, I have done all that you suggested to do as ways to solve the problem. The issue, to me, sounds like the printer head cartridge is not where it is supposed to be on it's drive belt(?). As I stated, I get no error messages, no jammed paper in the paper or cartridge path, done the unplug while printer is on, etc. Nothing has helped....

HP Recommended

@bnmjeff I'm afraid that would mean that its a hardware malfunction and I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.