Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 8600 Plus

Hello, I have an issue I've never seen before with an OfficeJet - I have an 8600 Plus that appeared to be hung up (hourglass on printer display) ..  it would not shut itself down when holding the Power button, so I unplugged from the wall, let it sit a couple minutes, then plugged back in. Power button lit for a couple seconds then turned off, I attempted to press the Power button to see if the printer would boot up, and it would not. I repeated unplugging & plugging back in & had same result.

Part of me thinks is a problem with the firmware, but I'm not able to find a way to try to boot the printer using a USB Drive. I've found some discussion on power supply unit, but my belief is IF it was power supply related, the Power button wouldn't light up at all.

Open to any suggestions, this has been a great printer since I bought it new (and I have an older 8500 that is still working great), I hate to throw it out if the issue could be somehting simple.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@kmachan

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries.

This could be a hardware issue with the printer.

I have sent you a private message, for the service option that cannot be shared in a public post.

Can you please check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.

Have a great day!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

I have the same problem about power light turning briefly on, then off, and printer not starting. Already changed and verified power outlet. Can you share the resolution?

HP Recommended

I had the printer unplugged and sitting idle for about a week while I looked into new PSU, and then was going to just junk the printer cause it looked like more effort & cost than just buying a new one - but then for grins decided to try starting it up one more time & everything worked great. No problems since.

I wish I had something more intelligent to share as to what may have happened, but for whatever reason just leaving it unplugged for a few days did the trick. (If I had to guess, just a few hours unplugged probably would have been plenty for whatever was happening in my situation, but in my instance it was a lot longer)

HP Recommended

I tried leaving it unplugged for the night. That didn't help.

HP Recommended

We have found the problem and have been able to solve it ourselves:

The problem was that the power button got partially stuck behind the front-plate: there was friction between power button and front-plate on one side of the power button.

The solution is to remove the piece of the front-plate that is over the top half of the power button. Then you can access to a limited but sufficient extent the printed circuit board on which the power button has been mounted, and move it a bit such that the power button can resume its normal functioning. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.