01-02-2018 12:44 PM
My Officejet 8600 stopped communicating wirelessly with my MacBook Air. After I updated it. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the 8600 software, but still get a "Communication Failure" error. It communicates fine with my husband's Mac, which is not updated. Help. Thanks.
01-03-2018 03:23 PM
Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I understand you are getting communication failure error message on your HP OfficeJet 8600 printer. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.
To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:
Are you getting this error message while printing or while scanning?
Have you tried to follow any troubleshooting steps from HP Article?
In the meantime, let's try these steps here: Let's assign a static IP address on the printer.
Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to get the IP address.
Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.
Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
Click on radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 22.214.171.124 and under manual alternate type 126.96.36.199 (This is Google DNS server address)
If the issue persists, perform a reset printing to completely fix this issue as suggested below:
Click the Apple menu icon, and then click “System Preferences”.
Click “Printers and Scanner” / “Print and Scan” or “Print and Fax”.
Right-click the blank space in the Printers list, and then click “Reset printing system”.
Click “Reset” in the confirmation window.
Enter an administrator username and password, and then click “OK”.
Wait until the printing system is reset and no devices show in the Printers list
Restart your computer and then go back to System preferences – Printers and scanners.
Click the “Add button” (+).
Find, and then select the name of your printer from the printer list, and then click “Add” to add your printer.
Click “Print Using...” or “Use”, and then select Secure AirPrint or AirPrint. Alternatively, you may select the name of your printer if available in that list.
Alternatively, you can go through these links: HP Printers - Printer Not Found During Network Driver Setup (Mac) & HP Printers - Network Scanner Connection Error (Mac)
Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!
Eagerly waiting for your response!
I hope you have a good day ahead,
And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.
I am an HP Employee
01-05-2018 02:22 PM
Thanks for your suggestions. I tried them both. Neither worked. My printer now does not come up on any list when I open "printers" in System Preferences. I can't print or scan, and I have deleted all the other printers in the other locations I use my computer. I sure hope I can get them back! Any other suggestions? I'm willing to try them.
Thanks, Leah Ellenberg
01-05-2018 06:19 PM
Thank you for replying,
As I understand you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.
Just wanted to know If you are connected to the network. Is the Wireless light steady blue or is it blinking.
If the wireless light is solid blue, then the printer is connected to the network. Then perform a Network power drain:
Hard reset on the printer, router, computer and other devices on the same network.
The following steps temporarily disconnect network and Internet connections and require restarting your computer. Complete any tasks or downloads in progress before continuing.
1. Press the Power button on the printer to turn it off.
2. Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
3. Disconnect the power cord from the wireless router.
4. Turn off the computer.
5. Wait for 30 seconds.
6. Reconnect the power cord to the wireless router.
7. Wait for 30 seconds, or until the router is fully on and ready
8. Turn the computer back on.
9. Wait for the computer to reload
10. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
11. Turn the printer back on.
If the wireless light is blinking, I would suggest here is to Run the Wireless setup wizard on the printer and then try to connect to the network.
Once the printer is connect to the network, now try to perform a reset printing system:
- Click the Apple menu icon, and then click “System Preferences”.
- Click “Printers and Scanner” / “Print and Scan” or “Print and Fax”.
- Right-click the blank space in the Printers list, and then click “Reset printing system”.
- Click “Reset” in the confirmation window.
- Enter an administrator username and password, and then click “OK”.
- Wait until the printing system is reset and no devices show in the Printers list
- Restart your computer and then go back to System preferences – Printers and scanners.
- Click the “Add button” (+).
- Find, and then select the name of your printer from the printer list, and then click “Add” to add your printer.
- Click “Print Using...” or “Use”, and then select Secure AirPrint or AirPrint. Alternatively, you may select the name of your HP Printer if available in that list.
Let me know if those steps worked for you.
If they did, that’s awesome!
Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,
That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!
I am an HP Employee
- HP Printers - Minimum security settings for products on the open Internet
- HP Printers - AirPrint Print Job Does Not Print (iOS 11, Sierra, High Sierra)
- HP Printers - Cannot Print When One of the HP Ink Cartridges is Empty
- HP Printers - Printer is Offline (Windows)
- HP Printers - Having Trouble Claiming Your Printer?