Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8620 e-All-in
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

New printer (less than 3 weeks old).

Printer goes OFFLINE and documents in print queue will not print.

We have more than one computer using this printer.

I would like to know 2 things

1. why does it go offline and what can be done to stop it going offline

2. a quick reliable way to get it back online

Have looked for Print Doctore - keep getting page not found on the HP web site. I would like a reliable solution so this does not keep happening.

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi @Doyddy 

I found an HP document that address the issue, and should help answer both of your questions; 'Printer is offline' Message Displays on the Computer and the HP Printer Will Not Print.

As for the HP Print and Scan Doctor, you may use this link instead, it will automatically begin downloading the PSDR instead of taking you to the web page; HP Print and Scan Doctor.

I hope this helps.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I truly do appreciate your response as most of these threads do not get a response or attempt at a solution.  I am having the same issue with my 8620, I tried your suggestion but unfortunately the software could not locate my printer and it is definitely on.  I am ready to throw the thing over the balcony as I've tried so many things and nothing works, it is only a few months old and it did work fine. Very frustrating

HP Recommended

Hi @sonbee, thanks for your kind words and for reaching out to the HP Forums. Let's hang tight on chucking the printer over the balcony. I wonder if there is a firewall blocking the printer connection. Have you installed anything that could be interfering with the connection between the printer and the computer? 

I also wonder, have you ran the HP Print and Scan Doctor? If so, what was the outcome of that? You may also consider simply calling us. Since the printer is only a few months old, it is likely in warranty still. You could call us and we could walk you through the necessary troubleshooting if you'd like.

If you'd like, what you can do, is use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the calling process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get phone number

Case number and phone number appear.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I have this frustrating issue to ...... solution - check the printer for the IP address, open HP Printer Assistant and on the utilities tab, update the IP address.   To ensure it all works, I restart the computer

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

Here's  2 suggestions to mitigate the Offline issue.

1. Create a TCP IP port

1. Print a Configuration Page to get the printer's IPv4 address (you can also tap on the wireless icon on the Front panel of your Printer to get the IP address)
2. On your PC, go to Control Panel, from Devices and Printers, right click the printer and left click Printer Properties, select the Ports tab.
3. Click Add Port, select Standard TCP/IP Port, then select New Port and follow the wizard.
4. Type in the proper IP address for the printer.

This video resource will show you how to do it:

Create & Use TCP IP port

Note that you can ALWAYS revert back to the original port that the HP software installed by selecting the HP port under the Ports tab (in Printer Properties)

2. Creating a Static IP address using EWS

Hope that helps.

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

Perfect! Thx

HP Recommended

Hi @Rocco5,

Glad to hear that your issue is resolved and all is working well now.

Have a nice day!

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

Thank you - I think changing the IP address is working so far!!

HP Recommended

No, changing the IP address hasn't fixed the offline issue 😞

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.