Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8715
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Is the 8715 using color to make black because the black cartridge is low?

My 8715 color setup cartridges were empty and I replaced them.

The black setup cartridge is showing as low so I did not replace it.

The black level has not changed even though I print mostly in black.

All the color cartridges show as being used by the same amount.

Screenshot (139).png

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Some small amount of colour ink cartridges is used to mix with black ink cartridge when printing black, also all 4 ink cartridges are used for maintaining printhead during printer turning ON, and printhead cleaning.

If you are printing only black ( or in most cases black)  then you should replace black setup cartridge first, later colour ones. It's strange that your setup black still contains ink, and you had to already replace setup colours.

Any chance that someone is printing in a colour that you don't know? 

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

I am the sole user of the printer.

HP Recommended

The strange thing is regarding your black ink cartridge status is shoving Previously Used Genuine HP Cartridge Installed

Is this your first setup black that came with the printer or not, what is your current total page count black/colour?

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

The black cartridge is the setup cartridge that came with the printer.

Total page count is 538.

HP Recommended

There is no other reasonable explanation, except that you ( or someone) are printing in colour too, not only in black.

The setup black can print 750 pages at 5% coverage, setup colour can print 400 pages at 5% coverage, you printed 538.

My profile on LinkedIn

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.