Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8720
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I've created a custom paper size to print greeting cards using 2 sided printing. Haven't had a problem until recently. I upgraded to OS Catalina and loaded the Nov 18 HP Driver. Now when I try to print using the custom paper size, it only prints 1 side and I get an error message that says:

Make sure paper has been loaded in the tray and that the paper is below the paper stack line shown on the tray.

Click OK when ready to continue.

Never had a problem printing only 1 card before

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

@Bob762, Welcome to HP Support Community!

To be able to assist you better, I would like to know the following-

Which application are you trying to print from?

What happens when you try to print on regular documents and not cards?

Have you tried making a two-sided copy on the cards before?

While you answer the questions, refer to the document HP Printers - Creating Custom Paper Sizes for help.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry it took so long to respond to you. First time in the community and I am still used to getting around.

Again, everything was fine before I installed OS Catalina and the Nov 18 HP update

I am using Pages to print the cards (I create them in Photoshop)

2 sided printing still works with Letter (8.5 X 11)

I have been creating and printing cards on custom size (6.25 X 9) for years. I was doing it on a HP printer before I bought the 8720

HP Recommended

@Bob762

Let us try adding the printer using AirPrint drivers and see if that works-

Ensure that the printer is up to date with its firmware. If you are unsure you may use the links below to update the printer firmware:

Update printer firmware

Remove and add the printer

Click the Apple menu, and then select System Preferences.

Depending on your operating system version, click Print & Fax, Print & Scan, or Printers & Scanners.

Click the name of your printer, click the Minus sign, and then delete the printer.

Select printer and click the minus sign

Click the Plus sign, and then click Add Printer or Scanner.

Click the Use or Print Using box, and then select AirPrint

Select AirPrint from the Use menu

Click Add to add the printer to the list.

Try to print.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

No change. Still only prints 1 side and the "empty tray..." message

HP Recommended

@Bob762

Thanks for replying!

Let me check on this and get back to you.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It seems like the only 2 sided printing that is working is on U.S. Letter (8.5 X 11). I haven't tried all the page sizes, just the ones I will be using.

HP Recommended

@Bob762

We are doing some research on this issue to provide you with an accurate solution.

For now, check the print settings on the MAC. Refer to this document. Make sure to select the right paper size and type.

Also, check the 2 sided print settings. Click here.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Any update? Still waiting to print my Christmas cards

Thanks

HP Recommended

@Bob762

Check this before we could proceed-

Ensure you are loading the paper correctly. Try printing.

Keep me posted.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.