Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP 8720
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Printer was working fine.  Now when I send a print by USB (or by Wifi through another computer), the print job shows in the print queue and gets sent to the 8720.  The status on the 8720 says 'printing' but all I get is a spinning status bar and doesn't print.  Please help, desperate to print at this point.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Did this problem happen after a Windows update?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
HP Recommended

Not after a windows update and the same status on two separate laptops (one Dell, the other a Surface).

HP Recommended

And now tried a third laptop without any recent Windows 10 upgrades, print sent to printer....closes out from the print queue in Windows and sits on the printer in 'printing' status but the status keeps spinning and the print never starts.  

HP Recommended

Did you try resetting the printer?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I have completed power cycles by powering off/on using the power button, pulled power at the plug and repowered, replaced the printer cable and USB cable.  To be clear, the printer command is getting to the printer, however the printer does not actually complete the print (spinning status under 'print - jobs').

HP Recommended

Is the warranty still valid?

HP Recommended

No, its out of warranty 

HP Recommended

Give the HP semi-full reset a try.

You will need to search for the panel sequence as I do not have it for the 8720.

HP Recommended

Factory reset of the printer did not solve the problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.