Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8720
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My new 8720 is slow to respond.   It is cabled to the router.    It responds to test prints very quickly, but I have to wait 30 seconds at least for Word docs or other docs to start.  Once printing does start, it is quick.   I can see that print jobs are slow to clear from the print queue - typically 50 seconds.   And if there is another job in the print queue which is being held up by a completed job slow to clear, then this second job will not get printed at all.    Any thoughts on what's wrong ?   

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

You refer to a USB cable from one side, but mention it is connected to a router from the other hand.

Please try plugging the USB directly to the printer and then try printing using the newly added print queue, may it prints faster?

If you connect the printer to a print server (a USB port of your router), this relies on the router configuration too and not something HP can fully support, I suggest switching to an ethernet cable if you connect it to a router, this will allow more reliability and full functionality of any of your printer features through a network connection.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks Shlomi

I have just realised that I was not thinking straight when I worded the question.   The printer is connected direct to the computer through a standard printer cable.

Just to make sure I've made not more mistakes,  this is not a query about printing speed.  This is about the enormous delay between selecting print at the computer and getting the printer to react.   And about the delay in the print queue being emptied after a print job has gone through.      I have two other HP printers here that have both been connected using this same cable.  An 8610 and and 8710.   Both were installed easily and worked properly straight away.   This new 8720 is a real pig by comparison.   

John

HP Recommended

Thanks for clarifying John,

How long the USB cable is?

Make sure it is directly connected to a USB port at the back of your PC and not through any USB hub or an extension cable.

First, print a Printer Status Report and let me know rather it is printing faster or not when not involving the computer:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04939903

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi Shlomi

The printer cable is standard and is 2m long.   

If I print a status report direct from the controls on the printer, the printer responds quickly and the printing is quick.    I can't print a status report from the computer, but I can print a test page.   The printer responds similarly quickly and the printing is equally quick.   

John

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.