Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OFFICEJET PRO 6968
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to  add my printer to my network on my new laptop.  The printer is asking me for a username & password on the printer's touch screen.  I can't find the paper I wrote everythng down on.  Is there a way I can factory reset my printer so that I can do this? 

Also the printer is a 6968 & it's being recognized as a 6960 series.  Is something wrong there, or is that ok?

I am using Windows 10 on an HP Pavillion.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Rhmoore71,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query. I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you want to restore your HP OfficeJet Pro 6968 All-in-One Printer to factory defaults as you are unable to connect your laptop to the printer.

Let's go through a few steps that may help to fix this issue.

To restore the printer to the original factory defaults:

1. From the printer control panel, touch or swipe down the tab at the top of the screen to open the Dashboard, and then touch ( Setup ).

2. Touch Printer Maintenance.

3. Touch Restore.

4. Touch Restore Factory Defaults. A message appears stating that the factory defaults will be restored.

5. Touch Continue

You may also check page no. 133 of the User Guide from the link: User Guide

HP Officejet Pro 6960 series is the same printer.

Let me know if this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @Rhmoore71,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query. I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you want to restore your HP OfficeJet Pro 6968 All-in-One Printer to factory defaults as you are unable to connect your laptop to the printer.

Let's go through a few steps that may help to fix this issue.

To restore the printer to the original factory defaults:

1. From the printer control panel, touch or swipe down the tab at the top of the screen to open the Dashboard, and then touch ( Setup ).

2. Touch Printer Maintenance.

3. Touch Restore.

4. Touch Restore Factory Defaults. A message appears stating that the factory defaults will be restored.

5. Touch Continue

You may also check page no. 133 of the User Guide from the link: User Guide

HP Officejet Pro 6960 series is the same printer.

Let me know if this works.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

I am unable to do that.  It's asking for a user name & password.  I do not know what that  is.  I lost the piece of paper with that info

HP Recommended

I am unable to do that.  It's asking for a user name & password.  I do not know what that  is.  I lost the piece of paper with that info

HP Recommended

Hi @Rhmoore71,

Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that the issue still persists after following the steps provided in the previous interaction.

You need to perform a reset on the printer to restore the printer to its factory settings and then connect it to the network.

As this is a confidential information, I will be sending the steps in a private message. Please check your private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

Please reply back on the public post to let us know if the issue has resolved or not.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

unlock the administrator lock on my HP OfficeJet Pro 6968

I need the same confidential information also is this a common problem with this printer locking up?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.