Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart 7520 e All In One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

As I have noted, there are quite a few people experiencing the very problem I find myself ripping my hair out over: The black ink cartridge does not print.  All of a sudden, it simply stopped printing.  All other functions and inks work brilliantly.  When I do the printer alignment, there is no black ink printing.  Graphics print perfectly, but nothing from the back ink cartrdge. 

In the meantime, I follow every suggestion from the Print and Scan Doctor, to the recommended support pages as well.  During this process, my ink cartridges are being bled empty, except for the black cartridge.  I removed the printhead and cleaned it as instructed.  Once it was all put back together, I am being told the ink cartridges are not new; they appear used (per my printer).  I replaced every ink cartridge, but was told there was a problem, now with the ink cartridges.  I was also told to replace the printhead which I did. 

I can't tell you the number of times I have seen this resolution you have provided here, on various HP support pages and discussions.  Likewise, I cannot tell you how many times I have performed these procedures purported to resolve the problem of the black ink not printing, ad nauseum, and this includes the purchase of a replacement printhead.  NONE OF THESE WORKED!  

My printer is the HP Photosmart 7520e.  After much research, I purchased this for all the reasons it was designed.  I love this printer. Yet, while everthing works perfectly, the blank ink not printing so far potentially renders this as a $400-plus functional rock.  I am VERY disappointed here.  What's even worst, I have followed the links on this site multiple times.  The only means of contacting an agent for customer support has been teh automated agent who has no clue BUT to send an individual on a round robin quest.

My question here, in my frustrated state, is if anyone can tell me what the problem is which cases the printer to work perfectly save the printing of the black ink cartridge.  It's not difficult to simply state the fact of the matter.  To say "uh, you need to replace your printer" is not an answer.  I would appreciate any assistance here, perferably to restore the functionality of my printer.  Say it ultimately results in my reluctantly having to abort the use of my printer for another.   I have no idea what printer was created  to replace the Photosmart 7520e.  I am near tears. 

I can honestly say right now, with all the frustrations of having to deal with HP's method of providing sound solutions and answers for my Photosmart printer,  after 27 years of trusting the products because of the name,  it leads me to consider changing manufacturers.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Pfirsisch

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Raj1788,

Thank you for your response. I honestly didn't think a serial number would be of any useable relevance to anyone with the exception of HP support agents, and HP proper.  Your clarity on the matter is appreciated.  I pray it helps someone else.

Pfirsisch

HP Recommended

If anyone has a clue please respond to this thread. It's almost as if HP has built in this fault so that you have to buy another printer. It is happening to so many of us that someone must know why. Mine is an HP Photosmart 6520.

HP Recommended

I am still researching the repair.  As I have said before, there is NO way HP does not know what the cause of this problem is.

There are more people who have recently encountered this crazy problem.  It's as if a firmware update or something is causing the problem.  As a matter of fact, the last software update I did, on March 4, 2019, was the installation of the last firmware update, ver 1830A, release date Aug 10, 2018.  

I'm not saying this is indeed culprit, but I have found complaint and reports of this issue all over the internet, and they occurred within the last 30 days.

All I ask is for HP to PLEASE give an answer as to why this is occurring.  What is the effected part if any?  This can't be a mystery to you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.