Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One Printer series - N911
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have always used HP Cartridge 951 from Costco and now they only carry 952.  It does not list my printer on the package however it looks the same.  Are they compatable with my HP Officejet Pro 8600?  Thank you!

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

HP Recommended

I understand your response however Typically they have the numbers that are not consecutive.  The cartridge for my printer when from 950 to include 951 so it makes sense that 952 might work as well.  Is there anyway to directly comunicate with HP reguarding this?

HP Recommended

I am not understanding the response to this question. I had a printer that used 950 XL and just bought a HP OfficeJet Pro 8715 which takes 952XL(My other HP Office Jet 8600 died) I have new ink cartarages 950 XL and would had to get rid of them as they are quite expensive. I would love to be able to use them in my new printer.

HP Recommended

I am not understanding the response to this question. I had a printer that used 950 XL and just bought a HP OfficeJet Pro 8715 which takes 952XL(My other HP Office Jet 8600 died) I have new ink cartarages 950 XL and 951XL that would hate to get rid of them as they are quite expensive. I would love to be able to use them in my new printer.

HP Recommended
Do you still have your 950 cartridges? I have an office jet 8600 printer. I would buy them from you. Are yuu in Minnesota?
HP Recommended

That was NOT THE QUESTION. Please reread.

HP Recommended

The money and Big Profit is made from selling ink. It appears that printer manufactueres change ink cartridges with every model printer. Throw awaying cartridges is not their concern, only selling you new ones. Look into refilling then yourself, it's quite easy.

HP Recommended

Read my reply to the previous post. Same question as yours.

HP Recommended

Well, agreed. We're trying to establish if they're interchangable. Comparing empty 950/951 to these 952 ones (even the black is 952) ..they look practically identical.  You'd think someone would have tried it and be able to tell us if this will work in one direction or the other. I have an Officejet 8600 that uses the 950/951 ones and, because it was cheaper to buy this hp Officejet 8216 with ink than to buy ink for my 8600.. I went for it. The 8216 is Only a printer though.. no scanning or copying. But, if it's ink would work in my 8600, I would be putting it in there.  I'm just fearful of it telling a chip in the ink to never work if I try it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.