Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I don't think there's a way to actually talk with someone at hp who isn't simply reading a screen sitting in front of them. Well, if you want to spend some money.. possibly. But, I knida doubt it. I've had really lousy luck getting in touch with them unless you're happy with canned & useless responses. *shrug

HP Recommended

All I see is an empty box (where your comment would be) and a thumbs-up.

Does that mean it'll work.?

ThankYou in advance .. Please let us know.

HP Recommended

If you find out.. Please let us know.

I think that mainly we're all hoping to find out the answer.. So frustrating sometimes when it comes to what ought to be a simple thing when it comes to hp. Clearly they make some really good equipment but, when it comes to support.. well, that's a whole different thing.

HP Recommended

The problem is when one of the refilled carts starts leaking into your system. Oh, and I don't know if those inks are the old dye-based inks that fade out over time. One of the main reasons I came back to hp was that they'd reformulated their ink so it wouldn't fade (pigment-based inks) and because they dramatically increased the efficiency of ink use.  Even so, yeah, they make their Big Profit off the ink sales.

HP Recommended

I CALLED HP... they said that each cartridge has it's own computer chip to communicate with printer.  It will not work with different printers because of the chip.

HP Recommended

I have 8  ( 2 Black  - 3 blue  - 1 yellow - 2 Magenta )  [edit per rules of participation]

HP Recommended

They are not.  They look identical,  but the side "fin" will not allow a 952 to be used in a 951 slot.  I can't speak with certainty of the reverse situation, but would suggest one try it, without using excessive force.  If it doesn't click in - you have your answer.

HP Recommended

@PacificRimQuilt wrote:

I have always used HP Cartridge 951 from Costco and now they only carry 952.  It does not list my printer on the package however it looks the same.  Are they compatable with my HP Officejet Pro 8600?  Thank you!

No!  They are definitely not compatible!  They may look similar, but the 951 ink cartridges will not lock in place when 952 ink is required.

HP Recommended

No, 951 and 952 are NOT compatible. I have physically tried putting 951 ink in a printer that takes 952 and it just wont click in. Upon further investigation the tabs at the very back are very slighty different allowing the cartridge to not fit.

Hope this helps!

HP Recommended

FROM SOMEONE WHO TRIED IT

After years of owning an 8600 model & even purchasing a second of the same model for another home office, I purchased an 8700 model as it was on sale at Sam's Club and looked like an updated model of the unit I'd been so pleased with. I didn't really pay attention at purchase to the cartridges it took, however, I later discovered that they were nearly identical to the 8600 model cartridges. I can only say that it began a nightmare that ruined both my 8600 & the 8700 model printers. 

I spent hours on the phone with HP, which were little more than a waste of my time. 

I believe it all had to do with the identification setup within these printers that HP has put in place so that you'll have to purchase their cartridges, while there is a very slight, yet modifiable difference between the two cartridges the 8700 was never able to be repaired to a working state, I fortunately and only because Samsclub has such a grand return policy was able to get my money back for the 8700 model printer. After looking at the 8600 model sitting in a corner for 6 months decided I'd give fixing it another go. While disabling the identification of original HP cartridges didn't' work when I had the initial problems I was able to bypass what wouldn't work previously and get it back up and running. Unfortunately it lost its ability to auto feed paper from the top load in the process which is disappointing, otherwise, it works fine without problems. 

The 8700 model never would go beyond the screen which gave an error message oddly for the Cyan color ink cartridge only, didn't seem to care about the other colors even though they all were not what it called for. This was on both the 8600 & the 8700 units and no matter how many times I reset it to factory settings, ensured nothing was broken inside, shut-off it's demand for original HP factory ink, even purchased another set of HP ink cartridges. So while they should be interchangeable, I had no success with it. 

If anyone has, I'd love to know how I don't want to stop using my 8600 model printers but can't risk having cartridges that look exactly alike around the office and someone other than myself grabbing the wrong cartridge and ruining another printer.

Hope this helps, as you'd said there has to be someone who's tried it and I was the dummy who did, also hope someone will respond and tell me what I could have done differently or if there's a way to interchange and not be stuck with using only HP ink. As for the refilling, the newer models seem to know that a cartridge was empty and doesn't want to accept that same cartridge when reinstalled full, or at least that's what I've experienced.

I'd welcome advice from someone who has successfully completed whatever they suggest, not form someone who is offering advice without having completed the suggested task.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.