Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Ink is the New Lottery Winner for the printer manufacturers. Ink is one of the most expensive liquids around. If you want to refill your HP depleted cartridges go to the  link below to buy a refill kit that works. I've used it for several months and is easy and works fine. You will get the Scare Messages.......Counterfeit, Refilled blah blah blah. It shows unknow amount of ink. All scare tactics so you will buy HP ink at Gold, Diamond & Platinium prices. I purchased the Refill kit without ink. I purchased ink from Ink Owl. BCH Technologies also sells ink. Here are some interesting links that will keep you busy:

[edit]

HP 952, 953, 954, 955 Magictube Refill Kits Set

How to Reset an HP Inkjet Cartridge | Techwalla.com

HP 952, 952XL, Refill, HP officejet pro 8710, 8715, 8720, 8725, 8730

BTW, Do not purchase ARC Reset Chips, they do not work and can cause problems. Also Be Sure to TURN OFF AUTO SOFTWARE UPGRADE. The upgrade will lock your printer. Software upgrades are designed just for that purpose. 

PS.  I purchased Filled Cartridges to give them a try and then refill them. Stay in touch, I'll let you know how I make out.

Amazon has these.  Jarbo Remanufactured 952XL set for $34.99 guaranteed to work.

HP Recommended

I was finally able to find some proper hp cartridges, a black 950 & color 951 set and got them at the best price I'd seen in a long time.. delivered for 'round $90.  Still highway robbery but, I was able to bring back my officejet pro 8600 plus and start using it again.  Until then, I'd given up being able to fax/copy & scan and just got an officjet printer so I could at least print again.  I named the printer "CheaperThanInk" since I'd picked it up for just under $60.

It really is nuts that every ink cartridge has a chip to keep you from using it in anything else but, what would you expect.  I'm just hoping that between now and running out of ink again that I find something less strangling in price to buy the next ink at or, I may be naming the next purchase "CheaperThanInk2".  Just a bit crazy.

Don't try using ink for another model in any or it could cost you the use of that printer/aio/etc. altogether. Yikes.!

HP Recommended

You poor thing, I know exactly what you’re asking!  I can’t believe the responses you’re getting, LOL .

I’m wondering the same thing actually that’s how I found your question .  However, now you can’t even use aftermarket or refilled so I guess I don’t need to worry about the 951 because it was an office depot brand 😪

HP Recommended

*fingers crossed ... that the OD 951 ink plays nice.  You know, it really shouldn't be this cloak & dagger to be able to get ink for your printer without having to look over your shoulder that it's going to stop printing because it's been locked or something.  If hp was not as gimme gimme more PROFIT ..more more more.  We'd all have it better.. Customers wouldn't be having to consider the Oh-So-Iffy self-refills, getting carts with reprogrammable chips and all.. We could just pay a reasonable price, leaving still Plenty of profit for hp and get on with our lives and have reliable, decent ink.

Why hp is still making everyone jump through all these hoops and pay through the nose just so pockets can get lined, golden parachutes can be ordered and poolside parties where the pool is filled with spring water from Hawaii .. Have they no shame?

The warranty joke ought to be enough all by itself.  They've already got the monopoly on printers and there again, it's a shame that we're not working with a higher set of standards across the industry to begin with.

And, all this from someone who's really an hp advocate. Yeah, I often ..even after doing tons of research.. still recommend that people buy an hp desktop, notebook, printer, etc.   I don't want to have to deal with any more problems than those using hp comes with. And, trust me, I've done my best to deal with those issues from other mfgr's equipment and it aint pretty.

hp gets a lot right but, ya still get tired of having to give them the shirt off your back regardless.

yikes.. steppin' down from y soap box now. Sorry, didn't mean to go quite so long there.  I just tend to have strong feelings about these things.

Aside from that.. Happy Holidays to everyone (hp included, you guys).!  Let's hope for better all around in 2020.!

~Myrddin

.end.trans.

HP Recommended

If I could get $500.00 Plus for a gallon of ink I would do what HP and other printer manufacturers are doing. I suggested purchasing generic ink cartridges, they do work as well as the OEM carts. DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT upgrade your printer wants to do. The generic cartridges are fine for general printing. If you do specialty work then you must use OEM carts. Epson printers with the ECO tank are another rip-off but are convenient even if the ink is overpriced.

Merry Hanukkah & Happy Christmas to All and a Happy Healthy Prosperous New Year.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.