Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5020 Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have purchased an Envy 5020 Printer. The spec says that it can do automatic duplex (double sided) printing.  My old printer (a 4500 model) was able to do double sided printing by 'sucking' the printed sheet back in and prinitng the second side. This new printer needs the paper turning manually which is a real issue for me when printing 30 page documents. The web spec of the printer on the HP website says automatic duplex printing. I wouldn't say having to insert each sheet in the paper tray is automatic.

Please can someone confirm if I have been sold a dummy by thinking its fully automatic?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@stuistead

The printer Specifications indicate the printer does support automatic duplex.

The printer Datasheet indicates the printer supports the automatic duplex feature.

The extensive list of documents in How to > Print > Instructions & Settings includes:

How to Print on Both Sides of the Paper (Windows) (Duplexing)

Print Driver Settings Guide (Windows)

The following may be applicable:

• Duplexer – Set / Verify “Installed”

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers > Right-Click on Printer >

Printer Properties > tab Device Settings >

Under Installable Options > Automatic Duplexing Unit = Installed > OK

Printer_Properties_7Printer_Properties_7

References

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

Drivers / Software, Videos, Advisories, How-to, Troubleshooting, Manuals, Product Information, more

HP ENVY 5020 All-in-One Printer

User Guide > Print on both sides (duplexing) - Page 21

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@stuistead

The printer Specifications indicate the printer does support automatic duplex.

The printer Datasheet indicates the printer supports the automatic duplex feature.

The extensive list of documents in How to > Print > Instructions & Settings includes:

How to Print on Both Sides of the Paper (Windows) (Duplexing)

Print Driver Settings Guide (Windows)

The following may be applicable:

• Duplexer – Set / Verify “Installed”

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers > Right-Click on Printer >

Printer Properties > tab Device Settings >

Under Installable Options > Automatic Duplexing Unit = Installed > OK

Printer_Properties_7Printer_Properties_7

References

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

Drivers / Software, Videos, Advisories, How-to, Troubleshooting, Manuals, Product Information, more

HP ENVY 5020 All-in-One Printer

User Guide > Print on both sides (duplexing) - Page 21

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Great, that sorted it. Why on earth is that not a default on the install?

HP Recommended

@stuistead

I believe that "duplex" is indeed the default -- sometimes "things" get in the way.

For example, just (very) recently Windows Updates may have reinstalled your printer software.  It may have even happened right after you happened to have installed the software on your own.  (Just happened to me on a new system I have been configuring for use.)

While there may not be a direct correlation in this instance on your system, reinstalling the software might (inadvertently) reset some of the features.  Why?  I don't know - it can happen.  :indifferent:

In general, once you adjust the duplex setting, it will stick.

Happy Printing!

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Please can you help with information of how to turn on two sided printing.  It only seems to print on one side only

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.