Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Solve this one printer experts:

Welcome to Printer Expert Days April 20-21st

huh where are the experts now!!!!

HP Recommended

Thanks for all of the information.  Business cards are a great way to present yourself and what you stand for. [text removed]

Thanks again for the community contribution! :robothappy:

HP Recommended

I agree it seems to be something about the way the printer grabs the paper -- I have the same problem with Avery 5193 DVD labels, and it's intermittent suggesting even more strongly that it's variation in feeding.

Am I just too, too cynical in suggesting that the more we all burn ink trying to figure this out, the more money HP makes?

HP Recommended

Set the paper type to  "HP Photo Greeting Card"!  I can't guarantee it will work for everyone in all situations, but when I use it to print on the Avery 28877 "White Two-Side Printable Clean Edge Business Cards", I don't get the creepy margin creep.

hope this helps!

HP Recommended

I am suffering from this WANDERING MARGIN PROBLEM too.  I

have the HP Officejet Pro L7680 All-in-One printer, Windows XP, Office 2007, Microsoft Publisher, Avery 8873 template.  I have done everything right.  Still my business cards are printing perfectly on plain paper and they print right from the top on the expensive business card stock.  It is very frustrating. 

I have tried the ideas suggested here.  I have tried the Thick Paper, the Photo Greeting Card, the Best quality and the Normal quality.  I have tried lightly holding my finger on the card as it feeds in.  I tried slightly bending the sides of the card up.  I get a successful print one-out-of-every-five.  I am so freakin disappointed I could scream.  I have been laid off and I have networking and interviews to attend and I need my business cards!

The people at Avery are useless.  They wanted me to call Microsoft!  I kept telling "Meg" that the alignment was fine for plain paper and incorrect with Avery business card stock.  I asked her if she was familiar with HP printer settings for thick card stock.  She kept telling me to call Microsoft.  I wonder if she was actually an automaton who just cannot accept any responsibility.

I thought I bought the best brand printer.  I tried Brother brand.  They are really crummy.  I really expected HP to be better.

In the end I got some business cards that are acceptable.  But I wasted 80%!  If you compare them they are not all aligned the same.  With crappy capabilities like this I might just scrap my printer and contract the work at Office Depot.  Who needs all this aggravation?

Joe

HP Recommended

SOLVED! Try this fix! The key is to fool the printer software into thinking it's printing on plain, not expensive glossy or heavy weight paper.  http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-printing-questions/Solved-All-in-Ones-Misalignment-on-Costco-or-H...

HP Recommended

I have the same problem printing Avery Business Cards with Template 8371.

I have the OfficeJet Pro 8000 with duplex automatic two side printing.

Using either Microsoft Word with the Avery Business Card Template 8371 or using Microsoft Publisher with the same setup, I get the same results.  The top and bottom margins are simply wrong (too small on the top, too large on the bottom) and the each card prints over the perforation lines on the card stock.  It doesn't matter what kind of paper I use, or what paper type I choose on the Printer Preferences, I get exactly the same result when I have the printer set to do automatic two side printing.  I have also checked the "Preserve :Layout" button and that only makes the problem worse.

I have tried adjusting the margins, to no avail.

The only way I can make it work is to st the "Two sided printing" to "Off".  Print just the front page.  Remove the paper/card stock from the printer.  Put it back into the printer. and print the second page.  That works correctly every time!!!!

Again, it does not matter what kind of paper I use or what kind of paper type I choose in the Printer Preferences.

The Printer Software simply does not work correctly.  I had an HP DeskJet 6122 with duplex two sided printing, for years.  I could print business cards on it correctly, every time.

This is not a Microsoft Publisher or Microsoft Word software problem!!!  Period!!!!  If it was, then I wouldn't have been able to print correclty on the HP DeskJet 6122.

Hewlett Pachard, read this, Help!!!!!!!!!

Avery, if you are able to help, that would be great.

W. Michael Biklen

{Removed for privacy}

HP Recommended

This is definately an HP printer problem.  It worked fine on my Kodak printer.  I did try the suggestion of telling the printer that I was using photo paper.  It worked, but only if I used print pquality best, so it was very slow.

HP Recommended

I have an HP Deskjet D1520, and I was having the same issue printing business cards.  Avery Template 8869.

I have solved the issue for ALL HP printers that are having this issue.

I remove the top tab off the paper.  Where is says  "Side 1 / Side 2".

I then remove the top margin from the template.  I Zero it out. In the page setup in MS word or what ever your using.

With the printer turned off <<<<<<<----printer has to be off.  I manually feed the paper into the printer.  So now the paper is offset the width of the torn off strip.  I then set the printer to best setting.  Also it seems to help to have the paper tray half full.  "No idea why."  I then hit print.  After I hit print I turn on the printer.  The printer thinks the paper is fully inserted....which it is.  

The printer will warn that it is outside the printer are....ignore it, and it will be fine.

I have tried this on 4 HP Printers, and it has worked flawless.  I hope this helps others.  I was getting very unhappy to say the least.

HP Recommended

I had that same problem. Went through 20 sheets or more and finally turned off duplexing and inserted the paper manually. No problems worked! Go figure!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.