Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently loaded update from HP for print drivers for my 8710.  Ever since that point, my printer will NOT print on Avery Label stock (in particular Label 8126, but also others).  I have tried printing shipping labels created by Amazon, by Etsy, and labels that I created myself through MS Word.  All sources get same result at printer.  Rollers seem to hesitate in picking up the label paper, then sounds like it's printing as usual, but page comes out blank.  Sometimes page jams, but rarely.  Sometimes will get a partial print, but not often and always insufficient to use for shipping.  Have tried multiple different label sheets from multiple packages of labels, in multiple label formats, but same failure to print.  Have tried making label sheet the only page in the paper hopper and have tried on top of a stack of other pages.  Sometimes printer will pull the label page through blank and print on next page (even tho' the print job is only one page).  I've tried changing paper stock types.  I've tried every trick I know to fool the printer, but it flat out refuses to print on label stock anymore.  I need to print shipping labels for my business during holiday shopping season.  What's up with the drivers?  It worked perfectly until the last update.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@PVaughn1 

Printer Software

If you have not done so - if "other" printing jobs are having issues as well,

Download-save-install the Full Feature Software.

• Uninstall the existing printer software from Programs and Features
  • Restart the computer and log in
  • Open Category Software and Drivers in your printer Support Website

Note

Your Software and Drivers Support Website

• Download-and-Save the Full Feature Software or HP Easy Start Printer Setup for your Operating System version.

• Navigate to the folder in which you saved the software installation package (likely Downloads)
  • Right-Click on the downloaded package and "Run as Administrator" to start the installation

NOTE

1. If you use the EasyStart method, select the Full Feature Software (full driver) when the option is presented.
  • After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in

=================================================================

Settings - On the Printer and In the Software

Load the label paper into the tray - adjust the paper type and size on the printer control panel.  If the paper size is not listed in the options, select size Custom

Check / Adjust / Retain the Paper at the Printer Panel

Open Printer Tray,

If you have not yet done so, add desired paper type

Close Tray

IF applicable for your printer:

Look for a message on the Printer Control Panel,

Click Modify (wording varies), set the paper size and type, Click OK

NOTE:  If the size of the Paper Size is not in the Drop-down list, Select Custom

Set the Preferences - Windows

1. The following assumes the Full Feature Software has been installed.
  2. Check / enable the printer as the “Default Printer”
  3. Select and adjust settings in each category for the Media (kind of paper), source (tray), and paper size.

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers > Right-Click on your printer > Set as Default

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers > Right-Click on your printer > Printing Preferences >

Tab Printing Shortcuts > Click / Highlight preferred shortcut > Click Apply > Click OK to exit

If the printer software supports the feature, change the settings as desired, then use “Save as” to create a Custom Shortcut.

OR

Windows key + S (search for) Printers and Scanners

Left-Click on (your) Printer > Manage >

Printing Preferences

Select a shortcut and / or set “preferred settings” for paper, source (tray), other settings

Optional (if / as available): Save As > enter a name for your custom shortcut

Click OK to save the preferences

====================   Discussion   ============================

In general, several methods work to print Avery labels, including:

If your software includes Media type "Labels", select this paper type in your printer software.

If your software lacks the Labels paper type, select "Brochure matte" or similar for Media type (kind of paper).

Check / Adjust other settings - for example, select the Paper Size and one-sided- printing

Depending on which software you are using to create your job, the printer paper (and other settings) might found in Printing Preferences, Properties, or similarly named shortcut / dialog.

Note that the later version(s) also let you save your job as a PDF file - if other methods are giving you trouble, consider using "save as PDF" and print the file with Adobe Reader DC

Example, save-as-PDF in the Design and Print Software:

Avery_Design_Test_Template_28371_2Avery_Design_Test_Template_28371_2

Avery_Design_Test_Template_28371_3AAvery_Design_Test_Template_28371_3A

it things get really weird, try printing that PDF file as an image.  For example, the printer and computer only support TrueType fonts - if you are using fancy (or non-supported) fonts and the result is not as expected, it might be a good time to print the file as an Image which requires none of the presets for translating the content in the file.

Avery_Design_Test_Template_28371_3Avery_Design_Test_Template_28371_3

NOTE:  Depend on (Use) the Adobe print menu to set everything that it can control.  For example, use Properties to select the Media type but depend on the Adobe print menu to set paper size and one-sided printing options.

Examples and the like...

Dragon Document – Collection of Help, suggestions, and examples:

Printing Labels_Business-Cards_Cards

Print Labels, Business Cards, Cards, Booklet, Create Template/Table

Topics / Subjects, various, including:

• Preparation
  • Labels, Cards, and Business Cards
    • Office Word
    • HP Photo Creations and Avery Templates
    • Avery Design and Print (through Windows 10) and Mac
      • Print from PDF feature
    • Avery Wizard for Word (through Windows 😎
  • Printing and Printing Preferences – Notes
  • Print Booklet
    • Foxit Reader - Booklet
    • Adobe Reader - Booklet
  • Print on Inside of Greeting Card - Test
  • Additional Help (Documents and Notes)

References

Category How to > Select Topic:  Print > Select Subtopic:  Instructions & Settings

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer

Clarification of terms and "what the printer can do" (Specifications)

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information, more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 All-in-One Printer series

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks Dragon-Fur.  I had already tried about 90% of those options before posting.  I have just spent almost 2 hours trying again (and again) to remove the printer and all drivers and reload from scratch.  Still getting same printer response when I load Avery label 8126 (which I use 95% of the time I need labels).  Won't print on label stock.  The 8710 driver doesn't offer a CUSTOM option when attempting to print from Etsy or Amazon created shipping labels.  I tried OTHER MATTE INKJET papers, no luck.  I've tried printing as IMAGE, no luck (but the one time that did work before it took a long time and used a lot of ink).

I've never had trouble in all the years I've printed labels from either source, until this last week or so.  They generate a PDF document that I should be able to print on any paper or label.  My printer has just given up accepting the Avery stock as a viable paper.  Same response after reloading drivers.  Just sounds like it's printing (on the internal platen, no doubt), then it shoves the label paper through completely blank.  Prints fine on plain paper.  BUT I NEED LABELS that are peel-and-stick.  Otherwise my holiday shipping takes twice as long.

HP Recommended

@PVaughn1 

You are welcome.  I am sorry it did not help.

Well, rats.  That is a not-very-technical-term that means, "I am out of ideas".

I would guess the hardware is giving up.  No, I cannot say for sure, of course.  I had a spectacular Officejet 8740 as a loaner - I had to donate it after a year to meet the terms of the agreement.  I never found out how long it would have lasted doing the extra work to print labels, business cards, and the like.

Other than opening up the printer wherever you can (I believe the duplexer drops out of the back side), I cannot think of anything else to try.

@Bob_Headrick  Any words of wisdom?  What am I missing?  Thanks in Advance!

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for trying!  🙂

HP Recommended

It may be a coincidence that the issue happend about the same time as an update.  Labels tend to be "slick" on the back side, which is where the rollers need to grab the paper to feed it through the printer.   After some number of picks of label stock the rollers may get coated with slippery material and not pick the labels well.  I would suggest cleaning the rollers as shown in step three of the document here.  You might also select "card stock" as the paper type in the paper/quality tab.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.