Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
hp office jet pro 8710
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I want to print a B&W document. I have new black and magenta cartridges. Cyan and blue are depleted. The message says depleted cartridges must be replaced to resume printing. Seems a bit ridiculous that I have to buy new color cartridges to print B&W. Is there a work around?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

No because of the design of the printhead.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

No because of the design of the printhead.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
HP Recommended

Thank you.

HP Recommended

So even though I have never used the color cartridges, I have to replace them all whenever I replace the 950XL black cartridge???

HP Recommended

No, Sally, only if those cartridges are depleted. If the Cyan, blue and magenta cartridges are not depleted, you do not have to replace them when you replace the black XL cartridge. I just installed new black and magenta cartridges, but I cannot print in B&W unless  I also replace the cyan and blue. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.