Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My Photosmart C309 is not printing correctly. It's as though it can't recognise the black ink cartridge, although it sees it in the ink level monitor. The ink cartridge is brand new, and is not dry.  When i print the status report it does not show any ink in the XL cartridge and on the quality report there are no black bars. The colour cartridge prints fine.  I have cleaned the heads, but it will not align properly..

Any help would be great

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

It`s probably the issue is in the printhead..You have to try this

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01458034

If the issue still continues, you have to replace the printhead....

HP Recommended

So i followed the steps, cleaned all the parts, but still no black ink.    the ink level is reading ok but no black strips on the quality / status reports.  could it be the ink cartridge?  i took it out and it was leaking from the vent.  the last thing i want to do is spend another $20 on ink and possibly another $40 for the actual replacement printer head.  so $60 later i might still be in the same position. 

HP Recommended

i understand you, but when you have a problem where some ink is missing or the printing quality is not the best, the first step you have to do is changing the printhead, if the problems continues so the only thing that rest to repair is the printer... 

The cartridges must be changed only when they are empty,when there is a cartridge error.But in this case you have, there is highly recommended to change the printhead...good luck...

HP Recommended

Ok new print head fresh out of the package...same problems, errors, black doesnt show up on the quality/status reports...  Im about to cut my losses and get a non-hp printer.  

HP Recommended

Here's what I got from someone else that worked for the same problem with my HP Photosmart C6100 all-in-one

Perform a reset on your printer
Here are the steps
1) When the printer is turned ON, Disconnect and then reconnect the power cord.

2) When the lights begin to flash, press ON and CANCEL buttons simultaneously.

3) When the printer turns OFF, release the buttons.

4) Now turn ON the printer

Some things that sound too good to be true really are that good.

HP Recommended

The black doesn't print when copying with the printer.  The black comes through fine when I print from my computor.

HP Recommended

@ jdavis5042- I will need a little more information in order to help out.  What model of printer do you own? Different printers will have different steps to take to resolve their issues. Does the copy that you make have any color on it instead of black? For example, does it have yellow or green text showing where the black portions of the page should be?  If you scan something and then view the image on the computer, does that image have color defects as well? 

I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
HP Recommended

A while back, I thought there was something wrong with my printer because I would get an error message saying the carriage could not move. It would start printing, but the carriage would get stuck. I called HP and they told me it was the XL Black ink cartridge that was the problem and they sent me a new one. I have been having this same problem again, and when I put in the standard HP cartridge and not the XL, it works fine. If you find this to be your problem, HP should replace the ink cartridge free of charge. That is what they did for me.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.