Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
CN44S714MP
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hello, 

I recently replaced HP ink cartridges in a HP Photosmart 5522 printer. Prior to doing this, all colors and printing was working well. After doing this, black in would no longer print, even though a new HP cartridge was installed. I have tried everything I have seen online - uninstalling/reinstalling the software, running print diagnostics, etc. and nothing works. The strange thing is, the black in cartridge continues to be consumed and when I print out the Print Quality Diagnostics page, black ink prints perfectly. It is just when I try to print something in B&W or have black in on a page, that I see nothing.

Any suggestions on how to fix would be much appreciated as printer works well otherwise.

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I had the same problem, and I could not determine if the cartridge was bad or the contact was bad, but the next black cartridge worked, and I do not have any extra time to troubleshoot, so I dumped the first replacement cartridge.

HP Recommended

Thanks! Believe it or not, even if the black ink is not printing, I have gone through multiple black cartridges (due to e-learning). I too was hoping the problem would correct itself. But unfortunately, it did not.

HP Recommended

There are two possibilities hat can cause this problem.
The most common is that the tube between the black cartridge and the print head has come loose.
This is not likely in your case because there is normally black ink running out of the bottom of the printer after a while.

There is a possibility that the black section of the printhead has an electrical problem so that it only functions during the cleaning cycle.
I do not have a schematic of the printer, so I am not sure if this can happen.

This is such a difficult problem that remote diagnosis is impossible, so It needs to go to your HP service centre.
I have had to do this several times, and it always worked out properly.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.