Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Deskjet F4280

I have a Deskjet F4280, has always worked fine.  All of a sudden the black ink is not printing.  It's a new HP cartridge.  I've tried removing and replacing it.  I've cleaned the printheads, unplugged and replugged and all other troubleshooting.  Color is working fine.  The new black cartridge may be faulty but I just spent $50.  Any suggestions? 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @gsjappel ,

Don't worry, we'll make the printer working again. 😉

As you asumed correctly, there is a problem with the black ink cartridge. Are there any error messages on the printer or on your pc? Please try these steps:

Take a handkerchief and the black cartridge. Now press the cartridge like a stamp on the handkerchief for about 2-3 seconds. You should see a strong, colored strip. Is this the case?
If there is no or very little ink on the handkerchief, moisten the handkerchief slightly and press the cartridge again, this time for about 30 seconds on it, until more ink comes out.
Afterwards, re-insert the cartridge and run a cartridge clean, if necessary.

What is the result?

I am looking forward to your feedback!

Cheers!

Nils

Did you get a solution to your question? Please mark it as solved.

Did a post help you? Please click on the "thumbs up", to show this and actively help others.

I don't work on behalf of HP. | HP Expert program 

HP Recommended

Hello, Nils, thanks for getting back to me!

I pressed the cartridge into a dry towel for a few seconds and there was a black strip.  After reinserting it into the printer I printed a page of numbers, and all the numbers were black! rather than light blue as they had been before when the black wasn't printing.  But then I printed it again and the numbers were partially light blue and partially black.  A third printing gave me mostly all light blue again.  Then I pressed the cartridge into a wet towel for 30 seconds as suggested.  Again, black strips.  After reinserting I printed out the page three times and all the numbers were black on all printings.  Unfortunately, after about 20 minutes I tried it again and most of the numbers were light blue again.

I have a feeling the cartridge is defective.  It is a new HP cartridge though.  Any other thoughts?

Again, thanks for your time!!

Gary S Appel 

HP Recommended

Hi Gary,

I also think this is a faulty cartridge. But we can try something else! 😊

Take the affected cartridge and turn it upside down for about an hour. Afterwards, re-insert the cartridge and run an automatic cartridge clean.

If this doesn't work neither, let me know!!

@gsjappel wrote:

Again, thanks for your time!!

You're welcome 😃

Cheers!

Nils

Did a post help you? Please click on the "thumbs up", to show this and actively help others.

HP Recommended

Hello, Nils

I tried this latest suggestion and it seems to have worked.  I turned the cartridge upside down and waited an hour, then I wasn't sure how to do an 'automatic cartridge clean' since I couldn't find that particular command, so I did the 'clean printheads' thing instead.  I have printed out several pages and waited overnight between some of them, and so far everything looks normal.  If this problem recurs I will get back to you if you don't mind, but for now, thanks for your time and for the great tip!

Gary S Appel

HP Recommended

Hi,

@gsjappel wrote:

then I wasn't sure how to do an 'automatic cartridge clean' since I couldn't find that particular command, so I did the 'clean printheads' thing instead.  

I meant the printhead clean program. 🙂

@gsjappel wrote:

If this problem recurs I will get back to you if you don't mind, but for now, thanks for your time and for the great tip!

I'm glad that it works for now. If the problem returns, feel free to write another post.

Cheers!

Nils

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.