Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

My HP 6520 doesn't print black properly. I have cleaned aligned and cleaned the printheads,
uninstalled and reinstalled the software and drivers ("printui.exe /s" gave me error failed to remove driver -
the driver is currently in use. Failed to remove package hpvpl09.inf). Installed a new black ink cartridge.
The printer prints excellent blacks in jpg's and the black text on the Print Quality Diagnostic page is good.
MS Word documents have very little black ink and Notepad documents have no black. USB or Wi-Fi connections produce the same results. Please help!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @BigBobH1970

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I understand you are not able to print in black from the PC. I'd be happy to assist you.

• Try making a standalone copy in black and check if that works. By this, we can conclude if this is a hardware or a driver issue.
  • Have you tried printing different types of documents like PDFor Webpages and check if the issue persists?

If the printr is able to make a copy and print the test page in black, it means the hardware is working fine.

Use the HP Smart app to print and scan from your Win PC

Click here to download and know more about the app.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Kumar,

Thanks for your support.  I followed your suggestions with the following results:

1. Using copy by the printer, black only, resulted in a blank page as did iPhone Air Print and MS Word
  2. Using HP Smart Print, MS Outlook, and Adobe Reader PDF file. all produced a light gray page.

Please note that I did not completely remove the driver for the 6520 printer.  As suggested on the WEB I used the program “printui.exe /s” which gave me the error that it failed to remove the driver because it was still I use.  ?Perhaps the Spooler is in use.  The printer prints excellent blacks with jpg’s and the black text on the Print Quality Diagnostic Page.  Any suggestions about completely removing and reinstalling all the drivers and programs for the 6520 if you think this would solve the problem?

HP Recommended

@BigBobH1970

Clean reinstallation of Pre-installed HP drivers

1.  In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
  2.  Select your HP Printer 
  3.  Select Uninstall 
  4.  In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
  5.  In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
  6.  Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 
  7.  Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
  8.  Click on the “Drivers” tab 
  9.  Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
  10.  Select Ok 
  11.  Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
  12.  Close Devices and Printers, restart the computer.

Click here to download the HP Full-featured driver.

Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.

Let me know how this goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, the above suggestions do not work.  I have the same problem that I had before - the printue.exe /s will not completely delete the driver for the HP 6520.  The same error message appears: "Failed to remove driver HP Photosmart 6520 series. The specified printer driver is currently in use.  Failed to remove package hpvpl09.inf. Driver package is in use."

Under Installed print drivers for "HP Photosmart 6520... x64", clicking on "Properties" reveals the following path:
C:\Windows\system32\spool\DRIVERS\x64\3. The driver file here is "UNIDRV.DLL".  When I use file explorer to go 
that address and try to manually delete the driver (UNIDRV.DLL), I get the error message: "The action can't be completed because the file is open in Print Spooler". I could delete "hpvpl09.inf" at that address. 

Next, I tried to close the print spooler by using the Windows Key + R and running "services.msc", selecting Print Spooler and click on stop.  Printui.exe /s  now fails to run because "spooler is not open".  It seems like I am running in circles.  Any other ideas?

HP Recommended

@BigBobH1970, that's unfortunate.

I think this issue needs some additional technical assistance that can be better provided through one-on-one interaction with our HP Support team.

Please reach out to the HP Support in your region for further assistance.

keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.