Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Hp Ink advantage printer 4729
Linux

While I am printing a color photo with a glossy paper. The photo quality is superb. But the black part of the photos are not dyeing or not getting absorbed to paper or something. Even after multiple days, black pigments are coming out of the paper just by touching it.

I don't have any issue with Matt paper. The problem is coming only with glossy paper

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The black cartridge uses pigmented ink, which is not compatible with glossy media.  The color cartridges use dye based inks which are used for printing on glossy media.  Does your driver have an option to select media type?  If so make sure you are using the proper paper type.  If glossy media is selected the printer will automatically use the color cartridge for all printing, even the black areas.

If your driver does not have an option for glossy media then you can force the use of color inks only by removing the black cartridge from the printer temporarily which will force the printer to print in ink backup mode.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

The black cartridge uses pigmented ink, which is not compatible with glossy media.  The color cartridges use dye based inks which are used for printing on glossy media.  Does your driver have an option to select media type?  If so make sure you are using the proper paper type.  If glossy media is selected the printer will automatically use the color cartridge for all printing, even the black areas.

If your driver does not have an option for glossy media then you can force the use of color inks only by removing the black cartridge from the printer temporarily which will force the printer to print in ink backup mode.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot, removing the black cartridge worked for me. There might be some problem with the driver as it is choosing the black pigment even though i am choosing glossy paper.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.