Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Black printer ink will not print but all colored ink prints fine.  Did do the latest update last night, is it the update that is causing the problem?  How do I fix it?

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@Jaime37,

Welcome to HP Support Forums!

I see from your post that you're having issues while printing in black from your HP Printer. Don't worry we'll work together to help you find a solution.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

What is the product number of the printer? Use this link to find it:  https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03754824  (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

Have you tried to do a Hard reset on the printer?

What happens when you try to print the print quality diagnostic report?

Have you tried to clean the cartridge contacts/electrical contacts on the cartridge.

Could you please respond to this post with the details of the printer and with the other details as this will help me in providing you with accurate solution which should help you resolve this issue.

Eagerly waiting for your response!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have a series 7520 printer, I have run the clean printhead 4 or 5 times and it prints out perfect rectangles in every color but black, it shows on status that I have a full black cartrige but will not print black. The printer alignment says alignment failed but doesn't say why, only prints in blue for the alignment. I have messed with it all dayif a hard reset is unplugging then plugging back in I have done that, It says also returned to default settings? I have also taken a pin and made sure nothing was blocking vent. The last clean printhead I ran said everything appeared fine.

HP Recommended

@miami4me,

It's great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated. 

After reviewing your post thoroughly, I suspect this could be a possible hardware failure with the printer. 

I would recommend you contact our HP Phone support to get printer service or possible upgrade options.

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp

I'm sure they should be able to go ahead and address your issue. Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help you.

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem with my HP 6520 All-in-one printer, i.e. it will print all colours except black. I have run the print quality feature and get a printed page that shows dark-mediuim-light for cyan, magenta and yellow and nothing for black. My product number is CX017A. I have installed a new black ink cartridge thinking that this might be the problem but no success.

HP Recommended

@RobertM3,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums.

I see that you are having issues while printing in black from your HP Photosmart printer. No worries, I'll be glad to help you.

Just wanted to check if you have followed the steps suggested from the previous post, If you haven't tried it yet, please try and get back to us with the results as this will help me in further assisting you.

If you have already followed the steps suggested and still having the issue, I would personally suggest this could be an issue with the printer as you have also tried installing a new black ink cartridges which does not work. 

I would recommend you contact our HP Phone support to get printer service or possible upgrade options.

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp

I'm sure they should be able to go ahead and address your issue. Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help you.

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Holy Cow ! Were you at my house today ? my printer 7525 is doing the same thing. Ink level shows plenty of ink. run test page and its blue  black ink not working . ran clean cartrigdes also 3 or 4 times shows yellow blue pink and photo blocks with color, black square is blank .. then cleaned print head  and then when i replaced it and tried to print keep getting error message  saying problem with ink or print head turn printer off then on, rebooted just l like you did now doesnt print at all .. very frustrating.. ready to go buy another printer, hope someone out there has an answer for us.

HP Recommended

@philruf3405,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support Forums. I’d be glad to help with your printer issue 🙂

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you tried to update the printer firmware?

Did it happen after a power surge or power outage?

Have you tried to reseat the printhead multiple times?

Have you checked for any obstructions inside the printer?

Are you able to move the carriage freely?

In the meantime, while you respond to this post. Let's try these steps here:

Perform a Hard reset on the printer and make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Did you try to update the printer firmware? If not, If your printer connected wireless, make sure to temporary connect the device with USB and then follow the link to check for the latest firmware update if available for your printer, using this website

Restart the printer once done.

For more details on how to update the printer firmware, please go through this link: HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

If the issue persists, try the steps listed here:   HP Printers - 'Ink System Failure' or '0x ...' Error Code Displays

Could you please respond to this post with the details and with the results of the troubleshooting as this will help me in further assisting you.

Eagerly waiting for your response!

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Janet, 

My printer is the HP Photosmart 5510, product CQ176A, model B111a and it uses the 564 series of cartridges.  My problem has been that it stopped printing Black ink even with a cartridge change.  I was excited to see the link you posted about how to manually clean the printheads but this model printer does not allow me to remove the heads like shown in the link you posted.     If there is a way to get at the printhead to clean manually I would like to know.  I have tried Print Doctor 5.1 but nothing works to change the problem.

Thank You

HP Recommended

Hello Jeet_Singh 

Thank you for responding to my post.  The printer is HP Photosmart 5510, product CQ176A, model B111a .  I recently saw a post from an HP tech that refered to a link that showed how to manually clean the printhead in a printer model that also used the 564 series of cartridges.  However I was unable to remove the printhead carriage like it is shown in that link.  I am puzzled. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.