Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8710
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, 

Just a heads up, I am not very tech-savvy whats so ever, so help me out here...

I am currently working in a small building that has different compaines in the same building. While we each have our own office, we are all on the same wifi network. One of the employees for another company, continuiously uses my printer and scanner for his job (after I have asked him to stop) so I need to unfortunatly take matters into my own hands. I am not a selfish person, but he has his own printer he just doesn't want to use his ink, which I think is wrong. I have an HP Laptop, and an HP Printer that I use wirelessly, and I am running Windows 10. 

As I said, we are all on the same network, so I can't block him from that. I have tried researching this before comming here and I found a similar thread leading to me try this:

Settings > Devices > Printers > selecting my printer > Printer Properties > Security,

and then from there I have tried numerous "deny" actions but when I select "Deny Everybody from Printing" it messes up the printer on my own computer and I can't print anything because it says something like "driver not installed". When this happens, I uninstall the printer and reinstall it, and everything works great until I try to deny access to my printer again. 

So what I am asking is, is there anyway to deny other computers access to my printer? I want my computer to be the only computer connected to my printer/scanner. From my research I have learned that there's no way to put a password on it other than downloading third party software, which I don't want to do. Am I just denying access to the wrong people? If so which option should I be choosing? If I opt to use my printer not wirelessly (although not ideal) would that solve the issue? Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thank you! 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Two things you can do.

Conncect via USB cable or... create your own private LAN.

Connect wireless printer anywhere, convert from wired, bypass failed wireless radio or add WPA2 security.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Networking-and-Wireless/Connect-your-wireless-printer-when-away...

HP Recommended

So, I had to do this for a client that does not have a server and the machines are workgroup.  

I tried making a firewall rule on the Meraki, but the easiest way was built into the printer itself.  It has its own firewall that can be set to allow connections from 1 specific IP Address for the End User and one for the Admin. 

HPPrinterFirewall.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.